Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4wd conversion 2013 F-150 xlt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd conversion 2013 F-150 xlt

Hello my F-150 brothers, so this is my first F-150 I bought and I love it the only regret I have is not getting the 4x4. So I'm here to ask you, more experienced guys with these trucks, I'm hoping someone can give me a detailed list of parts I would need to switch over. I know the basics list tranny and transfer case and drive shaft but I know I'm missing a lot more. Before you go off telling me I should've bought one from the start or I should just sell it either of those are an option right now due to financing issues and still paying it off I would lose too much money. My father in law is a mechanic of 30 years so I'm not worried about labor and he has a connection for discount parts. I'd just like to get a list of parts and gets majority of them before I bring the idea to him. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

so you can buy all the parts you'd need but can't trade it? "nothing's impossible, it'll just cost more"

imo ... lift the front, blocks in the back, add a locker to the rear diff, 4x4 decals on the side, save the rest of your money/time/effort/frustration for the next truck (.02)
Old 04-03-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

As part of your research, go look at another 2013 with 4x4, and maybe take pictures and notes to all differences from 2x4 and 4x4 underneath, not to mention the 4x4 controls in the cab. I know on my year 150 the frame is different between the 2x4 and 4x4 due to the front suspension being different.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:28 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Only way a 4x4 conversion is going to be cost effective on a late model vehicle is if you can get a donor vehicle for free or nearly free.

Makes way more sense to trade it in or sell it and get what you want.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owe more on the truck than what it's worth so I would lose about 5k on it right there alone plus the down payment on the next truck and tax title blah blah blah. So I'm going to do this I have 3 cars so I can take my time on it. I came here because I thought I could get some help from guys who maybe knew a little more. So if someone can give me a complete list of parts id appreciate it if not I'll look else where
Old 04-03-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

you can't be serious - at least not to do a factory style 4wd system. the parts list would be more than $5k .... and if you have 3 cars.....

....ah, never mind have fun good luck should be a fun and worthwhile project that won't hurt the value of your truck at all
Old 04-03-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

You will end up spending exponential amounts of money over and above what you're worried about losing on a trade in. I've done 4x4 swaps, on older trucks with guys. If you're worried about $5,000 measly dollars, you'll spend that on the transmission alone! Then the t-case, another $2000. Then the front axle $2000. Then you will need the year-appropriate switching, and wiring harnesses, maybe another $1000. Then the suspension and brakes for the front, another $2000+. Then the vacuum pump/system and the IWEs. And the list is all but endless. And then you will still have a 2wd frame and running gear!

Like Trailbreak said, the *ONLY* feasible way to do this would be to find an in-tact donor truck in a junk yard. But even then, the junk yards know EXACTLY what all of those parts are going to sell for (usually 60-75% of new is what they charge, depending on condition of the part).

So, in my 40+ years of wrenching (for a living for some years), I'm going to give you some free advice: sit down and calculate the cost, especially before coming on a forum (here or "somewhere else") and spouting off about how dumb we are or how inexperienced we are. Your words appear to be spoken either out of inexperience, or a rash obsession to spend a dollar to save a dime.

I will repeat (from personal experience) what has already been said by others before me here: You will be *MONEY W-A-Y AHEAD* if you trade in your 2wd on a 4wd.

I wish you the best of success...

So Cowpig, where exactly are you in SW New Mexico? Las Cruces, Deming, Lordsburg? I used to live in Santa Fe and Los Alamos when I was a kid. Was in SF in Oct.

Last edited by STingray1300; 04-03-2016 at 11:29 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by STingray1300:
BCMIF150 (04-04-2016), Kenferg1 (04-04-2016), lewis26 (04-04-2016), MikeyZ (04-05-2016), RLXXI (04-05-2016), whomrig (04-03-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not very experienced with these things from a mechanical standpoint but something that wasn't said, that I would also at least be aware of, is your truck's current rear differential gear ratio. If I'm not mistaken, the new front differential gear would have to match. I don't know if all gear ratios were available in a 4wd, but in case they weren't and you have one of those odd ball ratios because it's a 2wd (3.15:1 comes to mind for some reason), then you'd probably have to re-gear the rear diff also.

Someone please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

I also believe it's not worth it but hey, it's your money and your truck. Enjoy it if you decide to go through with it. Definitely could be a fun project.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcuturic
I owe more on the truck than what it's worth so I would lose about 5k on it right there alone plus the down payment on the next truck and tax title blah blah blah. So I'm going to do this I have 3 cars so I can take my time on it. I came here because I thought I could get some help from guys who maybe knew a little more. So if someone can give me a complete list of parts id appreciate it if not I'll look else where
You should go post on pirate4x4. They are a lot more friendly and helpful than people here. They love helping arrogant newbs with bad attitudes waste their dads time doing a pointless swap that probably costs twice as much as just trading the truck would cost.

Oh but I forgot. You are the one genius in the country that can figure out how to cost effectively do this conversion. After you do your first truck, you should start up a business, selling your cheaply converted 4x4 trucks to all the rubes too dumb to do the conversion themselves. You'll make a killing.

Good thing you have other cars to drive while the truck you are making payments on is sitting on jackstands in the garage in pieces. Smart plan, buddy.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

You need to do some homework.

I would take a look at the Ford parts diagrams online. There are several parts vendors like Tasca Ford that has it online. Compare the diagrams between the 2wd and 4wd trucks and make a list of the parts you need.

I dont care how much experience your father in law has... He will probably tell you to trade the truck on a 4wd drive truck.

Quick Reply: 4wd conversion 2013 F-150 xlt