Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Wheel Drive Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Wheel Drive Question

So it rained yesterday, so I tried my 4W Hi mode. When turning it felt like the E-Brake was on, and when trying to back into my driveway it felt like I was backing against the curb. Has anybody else had this happen? The road was wet and it was raining.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

what you were feeling was the drivetrain binding. 4x4 isnt designed to be used on dry or even just wet pavement. its meant to be used on slippery surfaces like snow, ice, dirt, gravel, sand, mud ect. it will allow the tires to slip a little to keep everything from binding when turning. when you turn the front tires spin at a different speed than the rear and when the front and rear are locked together as they are in 4x4 the front tires try to go the same as the rear when turning which causes a bind. it can cause drivetrain damage if done too often so dont make a habit of using 4x4 on pavement unless its snowing or icey.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by howsteele
So it rained yesterday, so I tried my 4W Hi mode. When turning it felt like the E-Brake was on, and when trying to back into my driveway it felt like I was backing against the curb. Has anybody else had this happen? The road was wet and it was raining.
Take it out into the mud if you want to use 4X4!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Even when the roads are snow covered and I am parking in a tight space and have to turn sharply and will take it out of 4wd. You will turn easier and have a much easier time parking.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM

Location: After 20 + years in the foothills of the Sierras; I am now [back] in the south-end of Sunny SoCal!
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
what you were feeling was the drivetrain binding. 4x4 isnt designed to be used on dry or even just wet pavement. its meant to be used on slippery surfaces like snow, ice, dirt, gravel, sand, mud ect. it will allow the tires to slip a little to keep everything from binding when turning. when you turn the front tires spin at a different speed than the rear and when the front and rear are locked together as they are in 4x4 the front tires try to go the same as the rear when turning which causes a bind. it can cause drivetrain damage if done too often so dont make a habit of using 4x4 on pavement unless its snowing or icey.

Accurate assessment!! FWD is not a system for a 'rainy' day, unless or course, you are on an unpaved road.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks for the replies, I will not try that again. I will wait for the mountain snow, or the desert dirt.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ha yep sounds like you want an AWD

Quick Reply: 4 Wheel Drive Question