Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.6L Won't Start. No Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4.6L Won't Start. No Oil Pressure

So I'm having a bit of trouble with my truck. A few months back I had some issues with the engine shutting down and giving me a "no oil pressure" warning. The first time i spoke with some mechanics I worked with and they checked my engine out and concluded it was a glitch with the computer. The truck started up aftwerward and ran great. About a week later it happened again while doing 45 on the highway. I ended up getting a tow truck to bring it back to the dealer to try to figure out the problem. They told me it was debris clogging up the air filter, which I thought was bull. I decided to have a mechanic change the oil pressure sensor and it has run fine for 6 months with no issues what-so-ever. So today I took a 20 minute ride down to a family member's house and let the truck sit off for about 15 minutes. I went to leave and the engine would not start. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and it cranked up fine, but after less than a minute, the engine shut off and I got the same "no oil pressure" warning as before. Now the truck wont even start. Waiting on a tow truck for tomorrow morning. I'm just wondering if anyone has had such an issue with the 4.6 3V and if you know of a possible remedy to this problem. I'm worried about getting the same run around from the dealer as last time.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by pc1894
So I'm having a bit of trouble with my truck. A few months back I had some issues with the engine shutting down and giving me a "no oil pressure" warning. The first time i spoke with some mechanics I worked with and they checked my engine out and concluded it was a glitch with the computer. The truck started up aftwerward and ran great. About a week later it happened again while doing 45 on the highway. I ended up getting a tow truck to bring it back to the dealer to try to figure out the problem. They told me it was debris clogging up the air filter, which I thought was bull. I decided to have a mechanic change the oil pressure sensor and it has run fine for 6 months with no issues what-so-ever. So today I took a 20 minute ride down to a family member's house and let the truck sit off for about 15 minutes. I went to leave and the engine would not start. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and it cranked up fine, but after less than a minute, the engine shut off and I got the same "no oil pressure" warning as before. Now the truck wont even start. Waiting on a tow truck for tomorrow morning. I'm just wondering if anyone has had such an issue with the 4.6 3V and if you know of a possible remedy to this problem. I'm worried about getting the same run around from the dealer as last time.
When the motor is shutdown you will get a oil pressure warning because there isn't any pressure due to it being off. All motors will do this.

Does it display anything before shutting off?
Old 02-06-2016, 01:49 AM

Nope. Just shuts down out of the blue and gives the oil pressure warning with an alert sound.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What year truck ? Not sure if yours has it or not but may be the fuel pump delivery module. It looks like an aluminum box ,sits above the spare tire . If it's bad you will be able to tell by looking at it. They corrode .
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 AM

It's a 2010. I'll have the mechanic check it out. I already had it towed to the dealer this morning.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

No longer aluminum but plastic, fuel pump driver module.

Could be wire harness issue.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:42 AM

Is this generally an easy to diagnose problem? If the mechanic at the dealer doesn't find an issue (which he probably won't) then I'm going to have to bring it to a private mechanic to fix, which isn't covered in my warranty. I know wiring harnesses aren't cheap... Either way I'm tired of this BS and I'm fed up to the point that I'll just eat the cost if that's what it takes to fix the truck. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM

Let me see if I got this right , the oil light comes on and then it shuts off? Or does the truck quit running and then the oil light comes on ?
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 AM

I think for starters I would change the oil pressure sensor again. Seeing how it was fine for six months and now doing it again. Just because it was a new part doesn't nessecarily mean its a good part.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by koja7296
Let me see if I got this right , the oil light comes on and then it shuts off? Or does the truck quit running and then the oil light comes on ?
It shuts off and then the oil pressure light comes on.

Quick Reply: 4.6L Won't Start. No Oil Pressure