Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on 3 performance intercooler? + questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default on 3 performance intercooler? + questions

Anyone have any experience with "on 3" intercoolers for the ecoboost?

I am a new ecoboost owner (just picked up a 2012 3:55, SCrew yesterday) and new to the site.

I just got an AFE intake in yesterday, just ordered an SCT tuner, and now I'm thinking about exhaust and maybe intercooler.

This is the first turbo vehicle I've owned but my roots for speed run deep . I have a modded zx14 and a pump gas 421 SBC 600hp Gbody Grand Prix right now too.

Anyway, glad to be on here and looking forward to hearing about any experience with this intercooler or mods in general. I've never come across this brand and it seems to be a good deal at $625 including piping, etc.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

knock knock...is this thing on? hmmmm? Maybe I'm not doing something correct?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ecoal
knock knock...is this thing on? hmmmm? Maybe I'm not doing something correct?
I'm in the same boat with turbo inexperience. I'm waiting for "knowers" to give us answers...
Old 02-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

not familiar with on3 at all, so I can not comment on them. intake nearly nothing for power on the trucks. tune makes a huge difference. Intercoolers of choice tend to be Wagner, AFE, and Full Race. Exhaust, the catbcak, is just for noise. the Downpipes are where the power is made on the back end. When you get the more mods you will want a custom tune. Look into talking with Leading Edge tuning, 5 star, or MPT to get a custom map to make all the mods play well together.

Regarding the on3 intercooler. it looks nice, but kinda sketchy on the change up of the blow off valves. when using block off plates, i've seen a lot of them leak (not necessarily F150 just in general) so can cause more issues you need to solve. But it's big, so not bad.

in my case I have a catch can that might not fit due to the IC area it takes up, but may. Give it a try.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by torinalth
not familiar with on3 at all, so I can not comment on them. intake nearly nothing for power on the trucks. tune makes a huge difference. Intercoolers of choice tend to be Wagner, AFE, and Full Race. Exhaust, the catbcak, is just for noise. the Downpipes are where the power is made on the back end. When you get the more mods you will want a custom tune. Look into talking with Leading Edge tuning, 5 star, or MPT to get a custom map to make all the mods play well together. Regarding the on3 intercooler. it looks nice, but kinda sketchy on the change up of the blow off valves. when using block off plates, i've seen a lot of them leak (not necessarily F150 just in general) so can cause more issues you need to solve. But it's big, so not bad. in my case I have a catch can that might not fit due to the IC area it takes up, but may. Give it a try.
So, does an AFE performance intercooler make any difference by itself? Let's say for instance I get my intercooler damaged and need it replaced... Would there be any benefit to buying an aftermarket AFE, instead of the stock one?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 PM

it will offer greater flow, and cooler temperatures. you can get a greater benefit by tuning for it, but by its self it will offer the benefits of lower charge temperatures.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 PM

it will offer greater flow, and cooler temperatures. you can get a greater benefit by tuning for it, but by its self it will offer the benefits of lower charge temperatures.
So that and headers would be last mod if you were to build an Eco power house?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 PM

SCT Livewire, Downpipe, intercooler, and probably blow off valves, 93 octane tune from leading edge tuning would be my ultimate. Everyone will have slightly different opinions though. Intake is great for sound though, same with catback. but power comes from the other 4.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 PM

SCT Livewire, Downpipe, intercooler, and probably blow off valves, 93 octane tune from leading edge tuning would be my ultimate. Everyone will have slightly different opinions though. Intake is great for sound though, same with catback. but power comes from the other 4.
Man, I wish I could do it all and not have to worry about my warranty. That's the only thing holding me back... And the money factor...
Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Tuner first. the canned 93 tunes are really good overall. I actually didnt like the 93 MPT tune. powerful, for sure, but not a pleasant driving experience with the throttle response they have setup. with the sheer cost difference I'm running the 87 canned SCT now and am happy for a good while. But with my getting an S4 later on this year, I'm just working on a couple more items and calling the truck done

Quick Reply: on 3 performance intercooler? + questions