3.73 or 4.10's with 305/50/20's? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



3.73 or 4.10's with 305/50/20's?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
A has been that never was
Thread Starter
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Default 3.73 or 4.10's with 305/50/20's?

Im getting a Trutrac unit and some gears in about two weeks.

What gears should i get with the above mentioned tire size?

I don't care for millage. I do little hwy driving. I want my truck to be fast. All around street fast. I dont take it to the track.

Any recommendations?
2010 4X2 XLT SCREW 5.4 / 5.5 bed
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jacob.P93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 5,842
Thanked 82 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Are you sure you don't have 3:73s right now? 3:73s is factory for some f1's that or 3:55s. I would consider 4:10s or 4:56s. Cause you do mostly city and want fast. 4:56s is fast.
Jacob.P93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
BobLobLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21,899
Thanked 210 Times in 165 Posts
Default

That size is the same as stock diameter. I am happy with my 3.73 and find it gives decent acceleration for city driving.
BobLobLaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jacob.P93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 5,842
Thanked 82 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Yeah 4:56s would feel like you had golf cart tires on. but itd be some mad pull in 1-3.
Jacob.P93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
A has been that never was
Thread Starter
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob.P93
Are you sure you don't have 3:73s right now? 3:73s is factory for some f1's that or 3:55s. I would consider 4:10s or 4:56s. Cause you do mostly city and want fast. 4:56s is fast.
Per my rear end code and window sticker i have the crappy 3.15 rear end. I hate it!!
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
A has been that never was
Thread Starter
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBS
That size is the same as stock diameter. I am happy with my 3.73 and find it gives decent acceleration for city driving.
Thank you. I just worry that too low of a gear (4.10 and higher). Would throw me way out of the power band.
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
CaSCrew11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,035
Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDL

Thank you. I just worry that too low of a gear (4.10 and higher). Would throw me way out of the power band.
Considering that you can order your f150 with 4.10's I wouldn't worry about it taking you out of the power band. That tire measures out to be a 32x 12in wide tire. That would work great with 3.73's and even better with 4.10's. If you love to go fast around town and don't do too much highway driving, I'd go with 4.10's if you want to run off-road at all, or just haul *** around town. I had 4.56 's with 35x 12.50 and I could burn both rear tires no problems but with 32's I'd go with 3.73's or 4.10's. Just my .02 cents.
CaSCrew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
BobLobLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 21,899
Thanked 210 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNDL

Thank you. I just worry that too low of a gear (4.10 and higher). Would throw me way out of the power band.
Keep in mind I also have the 3.7. You have a lot more torque than I do so it should be even better. 4:10 wouldn't take you out of the power band though if you go that route. Its a hard choice, I can't speak for 4:10 as I've never driven one.
BobLobLaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
A has been that never was
Thread Starter
 
PRNDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,073
Thanked 42 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaSCrew11

Considering that you can order your f150 with 4.10's I wouldn't worry about it taking you out of the power band. That tire measures out to be a 32x 12in wide tire. That would work great with 3.73's and even better with 4.10's. If you love to go fast around town and don't do too much highway driving, I'd go with 4.10's if you want to run off-road at all, or just haul *** around town. I had 4.56 's with 35x 12.50 and I could burn both rear tires no problems but with 32's I'd go with 3.73's or 4.10's. Just my .02 cents.
Thanks man! Good advice
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2015 F150 JMF150 5.0 Introductions 8 09-30-2015 09:35 PM
2013 5.0L 3.73 towing Weekend Warrior FS2500 llangarica Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing 7 09-30-2015 12:38 PM
Budget, no frills XL SCAB Cincy-F150 2015 - Present Ford F150 41 09-29-2015 10:24 AM
Performance Intake Manifolds? DillonBerkley Engine / Drivetrain Talk 1 09-28-2015 09:03 PM
Payload without 3.73? Nighthawk87 2015 - Present Ford F150 8 09-26-2015 06:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com