Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20inch LED Bar Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 20inch LED Bar Install Help

Hey you guys just purchased a 20'' LED Light Bar for my 2013 FX4 SC and I have some questions regarding the installation. Now I will be mounting it to the opening on the lower grill where the license plate is since I have a 5.0 don't care about car coming in now what have some you guys done to mount it? Is there anything down there to mount the light bar to example the frame just soo confused and help would be awesome please post pics and any ideas you may have used and issues you may of come across with. Thanks
Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tarunpatel
Hey you guys just purchased a 20'' LED Light Bar for my 2013 FX4 SC and I have some questions regarding the installation. Now I will be mounting it to the opening on the lower grill where the license plate is since I have a 5.0 don't care about car coming in now what have some you guys done to mount it? Is there anything down there to mount the light bar to example the frame just soo confused and help would be awesome please post pics and any ideas you may have used and issues you may of come across with. Thanks

I got a 20" also... but mine is curved. Not sure if I should have got it regular.. I just tried to put in the slot in the bumper and its a really tight fit.. I wonder if others that have installed it take some of the plastic off to make it fit better or should I just return mine and get a regular one instead of the curved... Mine also came with some mounts but I am going to try some things out today. Hopefully someone post some pics up! Does yours have a tight fit also?
Old 01-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive seen an installation video on F150LEDs website where the lightbar just barely fit in place after being pushed into the small opening and that was how it was made to be installed. No mounts but literally pushed in place and snugly sitting in place. I believe most have to make their own custom mount, I am sure I will also.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have one in my bumper i just took off the little bread bssket things trimed the part that goes towards the cab so they were basically flat and just drilled some holes for the light bar brackets and mounted it like that pretty straight foward
Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 AM

I installed mine last night I'll took photos of how we did it. I just couldn't get the finished photos I'll post them up in a bit once I get on my computer.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Alright so here are a few pictures of my install on a 20 inch light bar... we made our own harness and everything..

Here are the supplies I got at autozone because it seemed to be the only place opened on Sunday... prob would've got better stuff if I would have waited till Monday.

the supplies for LED bar install

Here are a few pictures how we ran the wires.. this is all on the driver side thru the fire wall the wires come in by the brake pedal a little to the left of it...

This is a look from the engine bay

Here's the wires going in to the cabin

This is where the wires come in from to the inside..

Here its is hooked up to the light bar.. this is just a temp connection to make sure everything works..

we ran the wires under that plastic...

photo behind the light.

another behind the light

Here is the ground hooked up.. this is just to test it...

Old 01-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Here is where I hooked up the switch... I dont really like that switch but could get any better since I was at auto zone!

Here is the job all finished and cleaned up!

Wires going in to the cabin.. make sure you tape of the wires where they go in just to make sure they don't cut open because its a really tight.

Here is where we tucked the wires in all wrapped up..

Here is the fuse and where we connected it to the battery.

Another look... the front wires are going to the ground.

Ground wires hooked up.

Closer look of the ground wires hooked up... we could have connected them to the battery but we just did it this way

Behind the light bar all cleaned up just need to zip tie a few things

All done!

If you have any questions you can PM me or if you can think of a better way I should have done it let me know please.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts

S. Fabian did you use a relay?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Nope I didn't use one... I was told it wasn't needed... u think I should have?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by S.Fabian
Nope I didn't use one... I was told it wasn't needed... u think I should have?
I didnt use one have never had a problem its been there for almost a year

Quick Reply: 20inch LED Bar Install Help