Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Sync3 Hell

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Unhappy 2016 Sync3 Hell

Well, I'm having a heck of a time getting my nav unit fixed, and thought I would share my experience for anyone else who gets into this situation. My 2016 F150 Lariat was purchased around April 2016 and has 18K miles on it. I have been having problems with the Sync3 GPS and XM radio.

Basically the problems are:
  1. The XM radio would cut out frequently with clear view to the sky
  2. The GPS stops working with a "GPS" and a red circle and a line through it indicating that the GPS is not working. The vehicle position on the map gets farther off the longer I drive. Using it to navigate is impossible because the longer I drive, the farther off of my actual location the computer thinks I am.
  3. The Sync3 screen freezes for 3-10 seconds at a time and pop-up menus sometimes take up to 10 seconds to fully pop up.

The XM radio had the problem from day 1, but the GPS problem and screen freeze-up problems didn't start happening until around December.

Here is the saga so far:
  1. I called to make an appointment with the dealer and the dealer told me I should perform a software update the SYNC system, so I upgraded it from the v1.0 that it came with to the v.2.2 version. The problems were exactly the same following the upgrade.
    _
  2. The first time I brought it into the the dealer they said there was a service bulletin on the XM antenna, so they replaced that. I believe they also replaced the GPS antenna.

The XM antenna replacement fixed the XM radio cut-out problems.

Literally on the way home from the dealer, the "No GPS" symbol came back on. The screen continued to freeze up frequently too.
    _
  3. The second time I brought it into the dealer they were able reproduce the problem and get an error code on the NAV unit. A board needed to be replaced and was on back order.
    _
  4. The third time I brought it in they replaced the board in the NAV computer. The work order says "...PERFORMED ONLINE APIM TEST FAILED. GAIN ACCESS TO REPLACE APIM AND REPROGRAMMED. RETESTED AND ROAD TESTED OK ALL WORKING AS DESIGNED."

On my way home from the dealer the "No GPS" symbol came back on. The screen freeze up problem keeps happening again too.
    _
  5. The fourth time and they were again able to reproduce the problem with the "No GPS" and the screen freeze up. They said they found error codes indicating that there was a problem with some of the signals on the computer cables and/or pins. After having my truck for 11 days, they told me it was all fixed. I asked them what they fixed and said they couldn't find any specific things broken so they unplugged all of the computer wires and plugged them back in. They said the drove it around multiple times and the problem did not happen for them.

On my way home the "No GPS" light came back on again just like the past times. The screen freeze up problem still happens too.

The dealer has had my truck in four times now for a total of 19 days. They are stumped and told me to escalate it with Ford customer service, which I did 6 days ago. I haven't heard back from Ford or the dealer yet in regard to the case number that was opened.

If anyone else has experienced this and found a solution, any help would be appreciated. If not, I'll keep posting until I get this resolved to help the next person who has this issue.

Last edited by hoekma; 02-20-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 02-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, this is the 09-14 section, so might wanna post in the 2015+ section instead.
The following users liked this post:
hoekma (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the heads-up....thought I selected the proper section

Originally Posted by lewis26
Well, this is the 09-14 section, so might wanna post in the 2015+ section instead.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:13 PM

I re-posted on the correct forum....if a moderator could delete this thread, I'd appreciate it.