2014 RCI Metalworks Skid Plates - Page 3 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



2014 RCI Metalworks Skid Plates

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
moerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Any pics of this mounted. I'd like to put this on my platinum as it gets a beating when parking on frozen snow mounds in the city and I'm always fearful of damaging something. Curious how it looks from the front, is it visible? Does it take away from the luxury look?
moerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Left Plate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West of the East
Posts: 1,528
Thanked 99 Times in 72 Posts
Default

You really don't see it.
Attached Images
 
Left Plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #23
End of the Earth
 
Chris's FX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houghton, MI & Chicagoland
Posts: 1,571
Thanked 365 Times in 279 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moerod View Post
Any pics of this mounted. I'd like to put this on my platinum as it gets a beating when parking on frozen snow mounds in the city and I'm always fearful of damaging something. Curious how it looks from the front, is it visible? Does it take away from the luxury look?



I have the gen 1 full front plate. Looks better because that stupid air deflector is gone now.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/rci-ful...plates-236904/










Last edited by Chris's FX4; 02-10-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Chris's FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
moerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
I have the gen 1 full front plate. Looks better because that stupid air deflector is gone now. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/rci-ful...plates-236904/
Thanks for the pics I was really hoping that I could take off that plastic trim as well it seems to get caught a lot
moerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:53 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
moerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 194
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris's FX4 View Post
I have the gen 1 full front plate. Looks better because that stupid air deflector is gone now. http://www.f150forum.com/f38/rci-ful...plates-236904/
Thanks for the pics, was hoping to be able to take off that plastic lip as well
moerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
5 Year Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WI
Posts: 270
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Looking to replace my stock skid plate...as...I...um..."skid" over a boulder which bent the crap out of the stock one. Thankful it was there!

So...wondering if there is a replacement option out there for me? I have an Ecoboost model and wondered how your stuff might interfere with reaching up to get the oil filter as well as the drain plug. I somehow lost my fabric aerodynamic thing but don't particularly miss it. Let me know if you have any blemished products that work for me and the price. I am in the market!
2011Eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just installed the full skid plate package in 10 gauge steel. RCI Metalworks did a great job with the fabrication of the metal - holes aligned perfectly. The finish of the plates was also pretty good. I'm happy with the quality. I did struggle a little bit with one speed clip on the install, but that's not RCI's issue.

I did notice over the last couple of days after installing that the truck feels not only stiffer but heavier. That's to be expected with installing that much metal underneath the truck - but I'm considering removing the transfer case plate for the time being to lighten the load.

Has anybody noticed a DECREASE in MPG with the 10 gauge steel? I know that the underbelly should be "smoother" aerodynamically, and maybe I'm being too critical, but my MPG seems to have dropped by almost 1 MPG since installing the plates. I'm honestly pretty shocked that the weight added (even though it is a full skid package) seems to have dropped MPG that severely.

Any feedback is appreciated.
ATXJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
sigma pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,297
Thanked 300 Times in 223 Posts
Default

IDK if 1 mpg can be attributed to that

but I will say this, Id rather pay for the extra 1 mpg if there is one, than something that gets busted under the truck from road debris.
sigma pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #29
F150 Vendor
Thread Starter
 
RCImetalworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 260
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXJock View Post
Just installed the full skid plate package in 10 gauge steel. RCI Metalworks did a great job with the fabrication of the metal - holes aligned perfectly. The finish of the plates was also pretty good. I'm happy with the quality. I did struggle a little bit with one speed clip on the install, but that's not RCI's issue.

I did notice over the last couple of days after installing that the truck feels not only stiffer but heavier. That's to be expected with installing that much metal underneath the truck - but I'm considering removing the transfer case plate for the time being to lighten the load.

Has anybody noticed a DECREASE in MPG with the 10 gauge steel? I know that the underbelly should be "smoother" aerodynamically, and maybe I'm being too critical, but my MPG seems to have dropped by almost 1 MPG since installing the plates. I'm honestly pretty shocked that the weight added (even though it is a full skid package) seems to have dropped MPG that severely.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The 10 ga steel package only weighs about 80lbs, evenly distributed with a low center of gravity, (no more than the weight of a child), so I can't imagine you would physically notice the weight gain, although you could see some difference in stiffness of the vehicle as it ties all of the frame together and could minimize some of the flexing which is generally a good thing.


Keep an eye on your fuel economy, maybe its something odd like a bad batch of gas or something of the like. I had a random tank of gas this summer that got 11 mpg highway, and 21 immediately after refilling.
I only mention that because we noticed a 1+ mpg overall increase after installing the plates on our 2015, and have seen no change in the last 5000 miles.
RCImetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RCImetalworks For This Useful Post:
sigma pi (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 07:32 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
sigma pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,297
Thanked 300 Times in 223 Posts
Default

1% more weight

a full tank of gas makes way more off a difference
sigma pi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas: 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost - Loaded OptimiStick 2009 - 2014 Truck Sales 5 04-11-2016 03:43 PM
North Central: 2014 F-150 King Ranch 4x4 - Last of the steel F150s $45000 harvstr 2009 - 2014 Truck Sales 2 10-31-2015 01:04 AM
1989 to 1996 Ford F150 4x4 E4OD transmission rrmoval writeup notsosporty98 Drivetrain 3 09-12-2015 07:02 PM
Just a couple things... stainlessman 2015 - Present Ford F150 2 09-12-2015 09:23 AM
Raptor Skid Plate on 2015 XLT k_chez 2015 - Present Ford F150 3 09-02-2015 09:31 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 2016 F150Forum.com