Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FX4 - Better Tires, Better Payload?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 2013 FX4 - Better Tires, Better Payload?

Hi folks,

I'm shopping around for tires, as the stockers on my 2013 are wearing out.

I've boughten a half dozen sets of tires over the past half-dozen years, for a half-dozen different vehicles, and I can definitely appreciate what they do for a vehicle... But this is a new buying experience in that this is the first time I'm buying for a vehicle where I need to accommodate payload capacity.

What I have:
2013 F150 FX4 SuperCrew. It's got the towing package with the e-brakes and sway control and all of that, but I'm not sure about any additional payload-specific package.

Like everyone, I wish I had a 2500 truck. But, I don't — but at least I've got an FX4, right??? Point being, better suspension, better towing, ya know.

SO, long story long, I want to get a tire with a higher load rating, presumably E-rated...
But, what is my truck REALLY capable of hauling for payload, despite the 1,500lb. rating that is associated with the stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's?

And, understanding that there is GVWR, GAWR and all of that; what I really want to know is, how much weight is SAFE for me to haul, if I were to go and get a load of dirt, rock, fill my truck bed as a hot tub, or WHATEVER.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

If your going to be carrying a lot of weight then air bags and helper springs will help a lot.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree —*that's something to consider at some point, but, for the average guy like me, not using this solely for work, I'm primarily interested in the tire situation. It seems like the main inhibitor for payload in my truck.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

Legally, you need to go by the yellow sticker on your door. My 2014 Screw 4x4 only has a payload of 1300#'s. Even when you add bags, your payload doesn't change as far as enforcement is concerned.

E-rated tires will really improve the feel of the truck with a load in it, but it isn't going to raise your payload. The rating of your stock tires already exceed the payload and GAWR of your truck.

In the end, you have what you have. Add bags or AAL and better tires. Keep your loads within the ratings of the truck. Payload is almost always the limiting factor when towing or hauling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blown F-150:
Ricktwuhk (10-27-2016), Wesleypipesyo (07-17-2021)
Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 PM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

As mentioned, increasing the tire payload, does not increase your overall payload.

The only way I see your payload going up, is by removing weight that is taking away from your payload. Otherwise, it is what it is.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,725 Posts

1500 rating? Is that what the sticker says? Your tires are rated at 2400 or higher. That is 9600 or higher for the truck. It weighs 6000, meaning stock tires can handle additional payload of 3000 or more. This would have to be adjusted slightly for weight distribution. But still...

Tires are not your problem.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

To echo a few. There is NO way to increase your payload without replacing the certain components. Adding springs, new tires, airbags, etc, will do zero, ZERO for increasing the trucks capacity. In fact some of these might slightly decrease it due to adding weight. The only ways to increase the physical capacity of the truck is replace the weakest component. I am not sure what it is for our trucks, but axles, tires (only if they are the limiting factor (doubtful), etc. The weakest component cannot be made stronger by adding something else. Once you find out what the limiting factor is for our truck then you can replace that with a stronger one.

Same concept as my utility trailer. The amount of available weight on the 3500# axle, after you add in the weight of the trailer body, and springs, is my weight limit. The only way to get more capacity is to either trim weight off the trailer or get a bigger axle, or add a second axle. No air bags or extra springs will help. They can, however, make the trailer ride better. Same thing with the right tires.

Also, there is no legal requirement for your load capacitites, that is for commercial vehicles, or if you are pulling a significant load, but then your license limits the amount you are supposed to be able to carry. Most states class c are around 26,001# either single vehicle or combined towing and tow vehicle.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:06 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

The "P" rated tires will carry more weight than the trucks suspension will handle, they are not the weak link.

There are some who claim that LT rated tires are less likely to be punctured and get a flat. I've seen no documentation to back that up and the guy who runs the local tire store says he repairs equal numbers of each.

Some like the stiffer ride. On a 1/2 ton, I tend to stay with "P" rated tires. They cost a lot less and ride better. It makes no difference in payload.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

You may not be able to increase your payload per se, but you can positively effect how your truck handles a load. Airbags, springs, sway bar, better brakes, etc. all will help you when you haul. I run a sway bar on my truck and it helps when hauling my travel trailer. When it comes time to replace my brakes I will go with a more tow oriented brake set up - helping me to control the load when stopping.

It's funny, folks will throw on a lift and larger, heavier tires and rims, which negatively impact their rear end ratio on their truck without thinking twice about how it effects to their trucks ability to stop or accelerate a load, towed or otherwise.

I leveled my truck and run a larger (E rated) tire and I tow a travel trailer. To compensate I run a sway bar on my truck and will upgrade the brakes when it's time.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

As noted, read your Payload sticker.

Quick Reply: 2013 FX4 - Better Tires, Better Payload?