Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 FX4 20" Rims Pitting/Chipping Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Question 2013 FX4 20" Rims Pitting/Chipping Warranty?

Hello all,

Recently I just noticed some of the paint has chipped off of one of my wheels. Upon further inspection it looks like all the wheels are going to encounter this problem in the near future as there appears to be some premature wear going on. This is all happening in the same spot where the spoke meets the outside of the wheel.

I went to the local stealership and without even looking at the problem they said it would not be covered because I am out of my 3/36 warranty period (due to mileage). The truck isn't even 3 years old yet. I explained that this issue shouldn't be happening this fast and I would expect it 10 years down the road, maybe, but not even 3 years. They were no help except to refer me to a wheel repair outfit they use for used vehicles.

My question is whether or not anyone else has seen this. It appears to be a manufacturing defect and if that's the case, I can't be the only one. Any other suggestions on getting Ford to step up? Also any recommendations on repair in case I can't get them replaced/repaired by Ford?

By the way, these are the wheels in question.

Thanks!

Last edited by biff420; 05-18-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to post the same question, my 2014 has the same problem.. Ford replaced the 1st set and less than 1 year later the same thing again..
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same wheels on my 2013 FX4 with 30k miles. Mine are not doing that, in fact I was amazed at how well mine are holding up. Too bad you didn't catch it sooner you probably could have gotten a new set.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Factory warranty or not, if this is a known defect then it should be covered. And in this case, mileage is a lame excuse to be outside of warranty. This has nothing to do with how many miles. It's a question of premature wear due to defect.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:27 PM

I talked to Ford Customer Service today and they won't do anything. They suggested I take it to the dealership. I explained that I did but that the dealership wouldn't even look at the problem. They said there is nothing more than they can do.

Is this really how Ford stands behind their product? Wheels that only last a few years?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Mine got chipped to hell after one time hitting a gravel trail. The finish on them sucks. Got some 18" methods with a bigger sidewall and haven't looked back
Old 05-19-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by biff420
Is this really how Ford stands behind their product? Wheels that only last a few years?
Ford honored their warranty, they did stand behind their product for the warranty period, did you purchase an extended warranty?

Warranty's do not have an infinite life span.
The following users liked this post:
kameronth (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Z
Ford honored their warranty, they did stand behind their product for the warranty period, did you purchase an extended warranty?

Warranty's do not have an infinite life span.
I was told the extended would not cover this.

Fine. They honored their warranty. And in doing so they are saying that parts that should last a lifetime or many, many years are just fine falling apart in a couple years.

I'm not asking for them to replace anything and everything that goes wrong or wears out for the life of the vehicle, especially parts that are designed to be replaced periodically due to wear (oil, filters, brakes, wipers, plugs, etc.). I'm saying that in clear cases where something has prematurely failed do to defect then citing an arbitrary warranty is stupid and counter to their "Quality is Job 1" and "Built Ford Tough" catchphrases. Guess those are just hot air.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi biff420,
What you are seeing is cosmetic, your wheels are not falling apart. I can't tell from the photos but could the "defects" be chips caused by rocks or sand? I would look for some matching touch up paint.
The following users liked this post:
Summers22 (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by miniceptor86
Hi biff420,
What you are seeing is cosmetic, your wheels are not falling apart. I can't tell from the photos but could the "defects" be chips caused by rocks or sand? I would look for some matching touch up paint.
Yep, I understand its cosmetic however it will cause an issue over time that will be much more than cosmetic. This isn't from rocks or sand as evidenced from the fact that the exact same pattern is appearing on every wheel is the same spot. To me, it screams manufacturing problem do to the pattern.

Quick Reply: 2013 FX4 20" Rims Pitting/Chipping Warranty?