Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F150 Subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F150 Subwoofer question

I just purchased a 2013 F150 FX2

It doesn't have the rear sub woofer and I was wondering if the wiring is there to just plug and play?

Thanks
Jon

Old 04-30-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

nice truck, not sure if wiring is there or not. You can buy the kicker sub designed for our trucks off of a vendor here for $300 and it sounds great. I replaced my factory sony sub with it and it sounds waaaay better. Anyways, the kicker sub doesn't use the factory sub wiring. You splice in to front speakers, and run a power wire to battery. Pretty easy installation for such a great sound.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:41 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by jons01f150
I just purchased a 2013 F150 FX2

It doesn't have the rear sub woofer and I was wondering if the wiring is there to just plug and play?

Thanks
Jon
No Wires in the back, unless you already have a SONY system and Sub. However the Ford kit is plug and play, so no splicing.

If you do not have the SONY system, worry not, Rogel Ford has the Sub + Speaker upgrade kit for $450.
If you have the SONY system but no sub, you can add the sub only for $275

Look in the Vendor section for his ad, or follow the link below.

https://www.f150forum.com/f37/ford-o...s-only-296905/

I just finished installing min and the difference in sound is amazing.
If you decide to go that way and have any install questions, here are a couple of threads with some answers, or ask away. At $450, it seems that everyone is putting them in.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/kicker...ts-way-249022/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/what-d...estion-295373/
Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
No Wires in the back, unless you already have a SONY system and Sub. However the Ford kit is plug and play, so no splicing.

If you do not have the SONY system, worry not, Rogel Ford has the Sub + Speaker upgrade kit for $450.
If you have the SONY system but no sub, you can add the sub only for $275

Look in the Vendor section for his ad, or follow the link below.

https://www.f150forum.com/f37/ford-o...s-only-296905/

I just finished installing min and the difference in sound is amazing.
If you decide to go that way and have any install questions, here are a couple of threads with some answers, or ask away. At $450, it seems that everyone is putting them in.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/kicker...ts-way-249022/

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/what-d...estion-295373/
Not really sure what you mean by plug and play. No matter which system you have, the sub is not plug and play. Either way you have to splice into the front speaker wires and run a power wire up to the battery. You can upgrade to this sub regardless of what factory system you have. I have the factory Sony system with sub and the Kicker sub is a great upgrade. Really hits hard.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Originally Posted by funmoneypit150
Not really sure what you mean by plug and play. No matter which system you have, the sub is not plug and play. Either way you have to splice into the front speaker wires and run a power wire up to the battery. You can upgrade to this sub regardless of what factory system you have. I have the factory Sony system with sub and the Kicker sub is a great upgrade. Really hits hard.
Installed my Kicker Sub, Amp and speakers, not a single splice.
Yes, I had to run two power cables to the accessory junction in the front of the truck, cut the carpet in the back to secure the sub and run the wires. But i did not have to cut into any wires.

For the SONY system, I know that you have to tap into the front Right speaker but the connector supplied allows you do do that without cutting any wires.

Therefore, plug and play.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Man, I really would like to hear a truck that has this upgrade sub in it before spending a bunch of money to build something and buy amps. Do you guys that have it feel that fills out the bottom end well enough to be happy with it?
Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Originally Posted by cltgt
Man, I really would like to hear a truck that has this upgrade sub in it before spending a bunch of money to build something and buy amps. Do you guys that have it feel that fills out the bottom end well enough to be happy with it?
Well it sound nowhere near my Mustang's Shaker 1000, but it is quite decent. It is loud enough to vibrate the whole cab and make the mirrors unusable. that happens at 50% volume (15)

The Kicker sub itself can handle 400W, but the supplied amp is only 200W. Some folks on here have been buying the Kicker kit and then swapping out the sub amp for a 400W one.
Wonder if one of them could chime in here to let you know how bad it kicks with the 400W amp.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cltgt

Considering this sub go's for $600 elsewhere, I think at $300 it is well worth it's money. I have the sony system and simply swapped out the sony sub for this one and it made a world of difference. It actually has guts and will bump pretty hard.

I don't know about the plug and play thing. To me running the power wire through the firewall, ripping out your trim to get to the speaker wires, and then splicing in to them isn't plug and play. Now if I could of simply plugged the sub in to the factory harness and been done, then that would of been plug and play.
The following users liked this post:
funmoneypit150 (05-01-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The quality of the complete system (four door speaker and sub) is 100% better than the factory setup. I have the non Sony 4.2" display and it was plug and play, no wires to splice. More than enough wiring is included and as others have said, just run a power wire to supply the sub, connect the all the factory plugs and enjoy.
FYI, you do not have to remove the air bag as the instruction say. That is only to help remove the left trim panel along the HU. Took about four hours from start to finish to install.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the Sony MFT, So I just need to do the sub. Although, I would eventually like some better sounding satellite speakers.

Quick Reply: 2013 F150 Subwoofer question