Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F150 Power Window Broken ($2000 repair quote)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F150 Power Window Broken ($2000 repair quote)

Hey all,

So I drive a 2013 F150 FX4 and a few months ago the passenger front window stopped working. Its not what you think, I've done some research on this forum and others about typical causes. I opened up the door jam "wiring harness" on the front passenger side and found the whole thing to be corroded. It was so corroded that the male prongs in the harness came out stuck inside of the female end. I will attach a picture for all to see.

So at the dealer yesterday I was told it was a $700 part, with a lot of labor involved because it was part of the main wiring harness. He said they would need to take the dash apart, the headliner, the two front seats, and the carpet to fully replace this harness.

I'm fairly upset. I was quoted at $2000 just to get my window working again. The truck is 3 years old and only has 51,000 miles on it.

Any ideas? Is this something Ford Corporate would even care about? The dealer told me this is the first he'd ever seen, or heard of it. Thanks for reading.

This is the inside of the wiring harness on the frame side.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

The wiring harness is $700? Assuming the only thing broken is a corroded plug, this is a very simple fix. Just cut the plug off, connect wires to a new plug and you are good to go. Assuming you can't just buy the plug, you have a couple options. You can hit up some junk yards or just get a universal male/female plug and connect the wires to that. If you do not feel comfortable doing that yourself any skilled electrician could do this for you for $100.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Master Gunner

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

I'm sure you should be able to buy new pins, both male and female; whether you get them from Ford or from an OEM source, that may take some research. Once sourced, replace the bad ones; I would replace the entire connector if possible. If not, then at least seal with dielectric grease followed with a generous dressing of electrical tape.

If done this type of repair with various other makes (older Fords, Chryslers, BMWs).
Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by kgallant1855
Hey all,

So I drive a 2013 F150 FX4 and a few months ago the passenger front window stopped working. Its not what you think, I've done some research on this forum and others about typical causes. I opened up the door jam "wiring harness" on the front passenger side and found the whole thing to be corroded...
Welcome to the community, kgallant1855!

My name is Tricia, and I’m one of the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representatives on this forum. Please private message (PM) me your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

Tricia

Last edited by FordService; 12-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Ford had an electrical connector pdf that you can search thru find both male and female parts and order them. No need to replace the whole harness. Dealerships do this as it makes them more money.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:49 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I doubt ford is going to do anything. Buy a new plug and fix it yourself.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,690 Posts

DO you have a moon roof? Was this caused by water?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:03 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Just asking... its corrosion... is the 5 year corrosion warranty limited to just body parts?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mudder Fudder, this is what I found for the 13' "rust corrosion warranty"

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended

Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles

driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet

metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due

to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory

workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental

fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore

no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to

the airborne material

Old 12-09-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's an insane amount of money to fix it and I'd be fairly upset, too. Highly doubtful Ford will assist with the repair cost, but you can always hope. Like others here have already stated, you should definitely inquire about brand new replacement Ford pigtails/connectors and hopefully you'll be able to cut-off the damaged male/female connectors, then splice new ones onto the existing wiring harness. Check out fordparts.com. Lots of useful information on there about various Ford/Motorcraft parts/part numbers and prices. You can enter the VIN of your truck on the homepage, but it's optional and unnecessary. If you choose not to do so, scroll down to the bottom of the homepage and under 'Site Features' click 'Our Products'. On the following page in the light blue box on the left side under 'Our Products', scroll down to the bottom and click 'Wire sets/Wiring Pigtail Kits'. On the following page click 'Wiring Pigtail Kit ID Guide' colored in blue, located directly above 'Wire Sets'. 52 pages of genuine Ford/Motorcraft pigtails, showing hundreds of various male/female connectors will load and can be viewed by you. Used the website mentioned above a long time ago. Browsed it to ID a replacement Ford female connector/part number and price, wondering if a damaged connector on my truck could be replaced with a brand new one. Learned it was still available/replaceable with a new Ford pigtail,(insanely over priced though)but thankfully didn't have to purchase a whole wire harness, learning on the same website that Ford had discontinued production of that particular wiring harness and was no longer available as well. Called a local Ford Dealer the following day and spoke with the Parts Department. Gave them the Ford pigtail/female connector part number but they had to order it, and would take a few days to arrive.(understandable coming from Mexico) Picked up the part two days later, easily fixed it myself and saved some substantial loot. If unable to buy brand new Ford connectors, try calling every auto salvage yard in your State if needed. Ask if they have any totaled, similar year trucks in their yard that's being parted-out. If no success trying that, you can also Google search something like '2013 ford f-150 used parts'. You'll get lots of contact information for many auto salvage yards nationwide. Might be able to purchase a good used pair of connectors from out of State for a very reasonable price, and have them shipped to your home. If all else fails, just rig something so it'll work again. No way in hell I'd ever consider spending that much money to get it fixed. It's a complete rip-off and there's several other things I'd rather spend $2000 on instead. Damn dealerships/stealerships suck, which is why I try avoiding them like the plague, unless it's absolutely necessary. Wish you the best of luck, though.

Last edited by 03 Heritage Edition; 12-09-2016 at 11:37 PM.