Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 Gas Gauge issues

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 F-150 Gas Gauge issues

Gas displaying incorrectly on the fuel gauge.
2013 F-150
V6 Ecoboost 3.5L
36 Gallons

Bought the truck 3 days ago from a local with 62,XXX miles on it. Gauge seemed fine when I test drove it. A couple hours later when I drove it again after purchasing I noticed my gauge was going down really fast while my MPG stayed at a steady 17.4-5 I had just filled up all the way and had been driving for no more than 45 minutes and my gauge went down to below half. Anyone else encounter this issue and seem to have a fix for it?

MTE seems to be affected if I idle the engine, but I'm not sure if that would affect the gauge itself.

Edit:Sorry for the lack of info in the beginning it was late and I crawled around on the internet looking for solutions.

Last edited by Ford_runner; 09-16-2015 at 02:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IbJami (06-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 183 Likes on 112 Posts

Let me get this right...

You are driving, approx 45 minutes, and your gas gauge went down?
Sounds about right to me.

Remember those "DTE" and "MPG" calculators are ROUGH estimates if even that.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Let me get this right...

Yeah, went down but my half?! I drove 8 hours on one tank of gas on my last trip. Somethings up...
Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

What size enginge? How big is your fuel tank? I think a half tank in 45 min is way off, but you didn't give much info to help diagnose your issue.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:35 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Realizing now after reading this. That I don't look at my gauge probably more than 3 times from fill-up to near empty.
I'm usually focusing on 13.9 mpg's and wondering, why it's not a couple miles higher.
Like all these 17 and 19 mpg's I keep reading about.
Back to you tho. You may have just been on the threshold of 3/4 quarters to dropping to half. Or possibly were you on any sort on incline?
I'm sure those first 50 miles, had some romping involved.
I'd fill it up, and do some manual calculations, against what your gauge and dte's are telling you.
I have a 5.0 with a 36 gal tank and I average around 480 miles to a tank.
The following users liked this post:
IbJami (06-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_runner

Bought the truck 3 days ago from a local with 62,XXX miles on it. Gauge seemed fine when I test drove it. A couple hours later I noticed my gauge was going down really fast while my MPG stayed at a steady 17.4-5 I had just filled up and had been driving for no more than 45 minutes and my gauge went down to below half. Anyone else encounter this issue and seem to have a fix for it?

MTE seems to be affected if I idle the engine, but I'm not sure if that would affect the gauge itself.
The Gauge on my 2013 with 36g tank is wonky too, from Full to half takes about two hours of driving, then it seems to get stuck at half forever. Then when it starts moving again, but a lot slower than from F to 1/2.

My DTE is all over the place once it get to about 1/4 tank. I get in it says 120 DTE, then 10 minute later it climbed up to 170 DTE. Park the truck, get back in, now it's at 15 DTE, drive for a bit, it's up to 75 DTE, it's kind of comical actually.

I took it to the dealer, they called the Ford support line and guess what they told them??? "This is normal operation" I want to work at Ford, where their engineers can say "bah!! close enough, if anyone calls and complains we'll just tell them we designed it that way!"

However, what you are describing is an extreme case, 1/2 a tank in 45 minute is a bit much, even for Ford's wonky fuel measuring system. Crawl under the truck and take a look at top of the Fuel tank and make sure the fuel sending unit is plugged in nice and tight, then follow the cable back to make sure it is not damaged at any point.
Other than that, you can try taking it in to have the dealer diagnose the issue. It will be costly but at least then there is no more guessing.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford_runner

Bought the truck 3 days ago from a local with 62,XXX miles on it. Gauge seemed fine when I test drove it. A couple hours later I noticed my gauge was going down really fast while my MPG stayed at a steady 17.4-5 I had just filled up and had been driving for no more than 45 minutes and my gauge went down to below half. Anyone else encounter this issue and seem to have a fix for it?

If you filled your truck completely and then drove 45 minutes and the gauge read 1/2 full, then you have a problem. Likely the sending unit.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by masitile
Realizing now after reading this. That I don't look at my gauge probably more than 3 times from fill-up to near empty.
I'm usually focusing on 13.9 mpg's and wondering, why it's not a couple miles higher.
Back to you tho. You may have just been on the threshold of 3/4 quarters to dropping to half. Or possibly were you on any sort on incline?
I'd fill it up, and do some manual calculations, against what your gauge and dte's are telling you.
I have a similar truck and get about the same mileage, driving in a similar climate and traffic conditions. You have a v8, 4wd truck that weighs 3 tons. 15 years ago, you would be rejoicing if you could get over 11mpg. The laws of physics haven't been update- to my knowledge. You too can get 17 mpgs- On a dead calm day, get out on the freeway(away from suburban traffic), set the cruise at 64 MPH, THEN reset the mileage computer. I guarantee you will be blown away by the numbers!- until you slow down and have to speed up again...........
The following 2 users liked this post by elfiero:
LNF150 (05-31-2022), Ricktwuhk (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 PM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
The Gauge on my 2013 with 36g tank is wonky too, from Full to half takes about two hours of driving, then it seems to get stuck at half forever. Then when it starts moving again, but a lot slower than from F to 1/2.

My DTE is all over the place once it get to about 1/4 tank. I get in it says 120 DTE, then 10 minute later it climbed up to 170 DTE. Park the truck, get back in, now it's at 15 DTE, drive for a bit, it's up to 75 DTE, it's kind of comical actually.

I took it to the dealer, they called the Ford support line and guess what they told them??? "This is normal operation" I want to work at Ford, where their engineers can say "bah!! close enough, if anyone calls and complains we'll just tell them we designed it that way!"

However, what you are describing is an extreme case, 1/2 a tank in 45 minute is a bit much, even for Ford's wonky fuel measuring system. Crawl under the truck and take a look at top of the Fuel tank and make sure the fuel sending unit is plugged in nice and tight, then follow the cable back to make sure it is not damaged at any point.
Other than that, you can try taking it in to have the dealer diagnose the issue. It will be costly but at least then there is no more guessing.
Mine acts exactly the same - 2014 FX4, 5.0 3.55s, 36 gallon tank.

Best mpgs to date is 16.5 - 90% highway, 10% city. Highway speed limit 65-73 mph.

Last edited by justjimmy; 09-16-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Let me get this right...

Half way though....

Originally Posted by MasterFX4Sergeant
What size enginge? How big is your fuel tank? I think a half tank in 45 min is way off, but you didn't give much info to help diagnose your issue.
3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Holds 36 gallons

Originally Posted by masitile
The only issue with 3/4 is that I filled it up prior to driving that 30-45 minute distance. It was some city and mostly highway where I used Cruise Control at a steady 65mph. Inclines maybe slight on the highway but nothing major.

Yea I feel like that's what I'll end up doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 Gas Gauge issues