Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F-150 electrical issues

2013 F-150, 5.0 XLT 4x4 here.

I've read some of the threads on battery issues, and my problems are somewhat like that, but not entirely. I did get the battery saver message occasionally, but no problems starting.

However, I don't always get the message when having issues. I've never failed to start, but it has sounded very, very close to failing several times. A week ago, after sitting for four days, it barely started, so I put it on a charger. Worked fine until today. It had been sitting for three days, went to start it, and it started great. Drove about 10 miles, went into a restaurant and store (sat for about 1.5 hours), and power door locks wouldn't function. Got in and the engine cranked very, very slowly but finally started. Looked like the computer had reset or something - the dash lights flickered and all the gauges went to zero (got a low fuel alert until the gauge reset).

Then, I drove about 5 miles and went in a store for a few minutes. Left the radio on, on purpose. No battery saver message, which you would expect. Came back out 15 minutes later and the truck started up like normal. If the battery was truly almost dead, you wouldn't think 5 miles of driving would be enough to charge it up enough to not get a battery saver message.

I have noticed a few other weird issues. Like once, a few minutes after unlocking the truck, I opened the rear door to get something and the alarm started going off. Except the alarm sounded weird and muffled. Couldn't shut it off with the fob. Got in the driver's seat and a message popped up saying I must start the truck to avoid the alarm going off?!? So I did and it stopped.

Am I the only one having problems this weird? I bought this certified pre-owned and I'm thinking I inherited someone else's problem.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

This sounds like a bad battery, possibly a bad cell. have it tested.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

How about a bad connection at the battery. My truck is also CPO but the + terminal was pretty corroded until I cleaned it up.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by plaidtruck
2013 F-150, 5.0 XLT 4x4 here.

I've read some of the threads on battery issues, and my problems are somewhat like that, but not entirely. I did get the battery saver message occasionally, but no problems starting.

However, I don't always get the message when having issues. I've never failed to start, but it has sounded very, very close to failing several times. A week ago, after sitting for four days, it barely started, so I put it on a charger. Worked fine until today. It had been sitting for three days, went to start it, and it started great. Drove about 10 miles, went into a restaurant and store (sat for about 1.5 hours), and power door locks wouldn't function. Got in and the engine cranked very, very slowly but finally started. Looked like the computer had reset or something - the dash lights flickered and all the gauges went to zero (got a low fuel alert until the gauge reset).

Then, I drove about 5 miles and went in a store for a few minutes. Left the radio on, on purpose. No battery saver message, which you would expect. Came back out 15 minutes later and the truck started up like normal. If the battery was truly almost dead, you wouldn't think 5 miles of driving would be enough to charge it up enough to not get a battery saver message.

I have noticed a few other weird issues. Like once, a few minutes after unlocking the truck, I opened the rear door to get something and the alarm started going off. Except the alarm sounded weird and muffled. Couldn't shut it off with the fob. Got in the driver's seat and a message popped up saying I must start the truck to avoid the alarm going off?!? So I did and it stopped.

Am I the only one having problems this weird? I bought this certified pre-owned and I'm thinking I inherited someone else's problem.

Have you had your battery tested? Perhaps it's time for a new one!

Since you've had cranking issues, your battery saver message may be working fine. Now I did have the message some time back, but Ford dealer just adjusted the alarm points,miso no more false positives. Battery was ok, probably a little low, because truck had sat up several weeks.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 AM

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/replac...ew-way-231938/

Don't know if this will help
Old 11-09-2015, 03:48 PM

Had the battery tested and it failed the second test. I've had the new battery in for two weeks and no issues, even starting in cold temps. I assume if it was a recurrent draining problem it would have reared its head again.

So, really just a battery failure. Kind of a weird pattern for it to happen in, though, at least compared to past battery failures on other vehicles. I suppose none of them has been as heavily computerized as the F-150, though.

Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 electrical issues