Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 5.0 4x4 Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2013 5.0 4x4 Performance

I'm sure this thread has been posted before, but I can't seem to find it. So for anyone that gets all bent outta shape because someone posted the same question, I apologize. Anyway, I have a 2013 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road 5.0L I'm looking to upgrade the horsepower and torque for towing. I understand the basics, but have since been told that dual exhaust and and K&N intake system really wouldn't help this truck due to Fords new design. It was stated that basically the new intake and exhaust design was engineered pretty darn good, and wasn't really restrictive, and upgrading them wouldn't really increase HP and Torque. So what can I do to help increase and get more power?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

A tuner will help a little. Mostly drivability and some more power. But the 5.0 doesn't gain much unless you add a blower. Then it's kind crazy fast.

But a tuner is the best 1st step.

Also the 5.0 really benefits from a 3.73 rear
So if you have a 3.31 it's likely a bit of a dog.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on your budget.. This is on my list of things to buy: http://www.stage3motorsports.com/BOS...ar-Tuning.html
Old 04-04-2016, 11:21 PM

It really gets up and goes. I mean I can feel that 360HP but I'd really like to get it closer to that 400HP Mark. Basically me and my dad have the identical truck, except I have the 5.0 and he has the Ecoboost. I've towed a tandem 16ft trailer with my 3 four wheelers on it with both trucks, same load. My truck hauls it just fine, but it's noticeable, and u can tell the MPGs are affected, his truck, u barely notice ur towing, and u barely lose 1 MPG towing it.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

The two trucks make power differently. Your power is farther up in the rpm range compared to the Eco. Not fair to compare really- apples oranges. You will not match Eco low end torque without a blower.

What are your gears? If you have 3.31 v 3.73, that is a big difference in the 5.0, especially when towing.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Custom tunes and long tube headers will help with your hp/tq quite a bit. Typical cat-back exhaust won't do anything for it, but long tubes and exhaust back will. Just kind of expensive. A blower will net you the most gains, but will also make your wallet the lightest. I still want one though. You can do the BOSS intake manifold, but I am still kind of mixed on whether or not it really makes a difference. I've seen the dyno numbers and they look good in the higher rpms and ok'ish in the lower, but I don't know. There are mixed reviews on it as well.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM
ND Meatball Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Not to sound like a broken record, but...

For the money I'd try a tuner first.
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html

It may not necessarily give you the HP increase you're after, but it'll certainly change the driveability of the vehicle (for the better). I put off ordering one for nearly two years. Once installed, I wish I would have done it sooner! Search around...lots of positive reviews on tuners, be it written by 5*, MPT, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Lurker

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak to the 5.0 directly but I'll 3rd the tuning option. I went from a tuned '13 Ecoboost to a stock '14 Raptor with a 6.2 and thought I made a mistake because of the power difference (the Ecoboost felt that much stronger). Once I tuned the Raptor it was night/day difference in torque and horsepower. My only regret was not doing it sooner.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:28 PM

I'm seriously contemplating the Boss intake, I've heard good things here as well as outside of the forum. I will prolly get a tuner as well. As far as the comment about "apples to oranges" comparing the Ecoboost to the 5.0L I totally understand that, and I know they are 2 totally different motors, but I just want to boost some attributes along an even scale. I'm not lookin to make my truck some kinda street Rod, that's kinda stupid to me, and adding all the extra speed is pointless when the truck shuts off 100mph anyway lol, I just want to get up and go with less strain, and know I'm towing a trailer, but not feel it so much.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by kmpconley
I'm seriously contemplating the Boss intake, I've heard good things here as well as outside of the forum. I will prolly get a tuner as well. As far as the comment about "apples to oranges" comparing the Ecoboost to the 5.0L I totally understand that, and I know they are 2 totally different motors, but I just want to boost some attributes along an even scale. I'm not lookin to make my truck some kinda street Rod, that's kinda stupid to me, and adding all the extra speed is pointless when the truck shuts off 100mph anyway lol, I just want to get up and go with less strain, and know I'm towing a trailer, but not feel it so much.

Tune will adjust the speed limiter, just FYI

Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 4x4 Performance