Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Ford F150 Rear Sensors Not Working.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2012 Ford F150 Rear Sensors Not Working.

I just bought a 6" lifted 2012 Ford F 150 FX4 appearance package. I just noticed the rear sensors are not working. From the instrument cluster computer I have turned them 'on' but when I put the truck into reverse the back-up camera works fine but on my instrument cluster computer it is saying to 'check rear park assist' and then shows me that it is not turned on.

Is this a faulty sensor? A fuse?

Could really use some help troubleshooting this.

Don't want to go to a dealer since the truck is not under warranty and will probably charge me more than needed. Looking for a self fix.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Happy Camper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any aftermarket reverse lights on this truck? They've been known to cause problems with the backup sensors (personal experience).
Old 01-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by graybeardnc
Any aftermarket reverse lights on this truck? They've been known to cause problems with the backup sensors (personal experience).
No, I don't believe there is any after market lights on the back of the truck.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:27 PM
jim

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine does the same thing, let me know what you find out is wrong and how to fix it! 2012 lariat supercrew cab 4x4.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by floater212
mine does the same thing, let me know what you find out is wrong and how to fix it! 2012 lariat supercrew cab 4x4.
I am guessing it is most likely the sensors. I'm thinking of putting the key in the on position (without turning the truck on) and then putting in in reverse and going to the back of the truck with a stethoscope and listening for a 'tick' or clicking noise in each of the sensors. If you cannot hear it in one of the sensors that one is faulty. Since I have a 6" lift kit installed on my FX4 the truck wont fit in the garage so I am going to back up the truck halfway in the garage for a more amplified sound.

I'll let you know what I found out from this test. Currently -7 outside :/
Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine did the same thing a few days ago when it was super cold and I'd driven through lots of slush and snow. When it thawed out they are working again. I couldn't hear any of my sensors click, so I think on my truck it's the wire harness up by the spare tire that all the sensors connect into. If it ever warms up enough and drys out, I'm going to pull it apart and put some dielectric grease in all the connections.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

sensors don't make noise. use a scan tool and pull codes. that will lead you to either a
sensor problem or something else. and the definition of the code will say something
like. l.inner or r. outer to lead you in the right direction. otherwise I think you're
wasting time.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

When they are functioning, they do make noise, a faint clicking sound. If you have an inductive toner wand, you can hear it better. They stop clicking when you cover them, numerous YouTube videos on the procedure to diagnose these Ford sensors.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1stTruckGuy
When they are functioning, they do make noise, a faint clicking sound. If you have an inductive toner wand, you can hear it better. They stop clicking when you cover them, numerous YouTube videos on the procedure to diagnose these Ford sensors.
Correct. But you don't need the inductive toner wand. Just a quiet place and hover or placing your finger on top of it should do.

Going to test my sensors out today and will respond with the results.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

wow, never knew they made noise. Fixed plenty of them when I was at a dealer
(too much money lost had to quit) never in any of the on-line service publications
or in classroom training did I see or hear anything about them making noise. I'm
going to have to listen to mine sometime to see.