Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 f150 fx4, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 f150 fx4, sync, radio, apim, ficm, acm help

I have a 2012 FX4. It has the voice activated navigation with sync. I do not have the Sony upgrade system. It is about 4,000 miles out of bumper to bumper warranty.

My radio (including everything, cd, usb, sirirus, bluetooth) cut off by itself and turned back on by itself a couple times for a very short time. All fuses are good. I could not turn anything on or get anything to work, it came back on while riding down the road. I carried straight to dealer, they got it in and looked at it and since nothing would come on they could not figure anything out, had to carry back and leave for a day. After that visit, they said the APIM needed replacing, $676 plus tax. Had to order part, so I left with truck.

Everything came back on the next day and I managed to update the sync software and confirm on Ford website. When part came in I went by and told them everything was working, they were ok and sent part back. Worked for about a week and half and quit again.

Carried to dealer (different from first) I purchased the truck from, hoping they could find a way to help me and for a second opinion since I wasn't positive the first dealer was sure what was wrong. Second dealer (after charging incorrect price for diagnostic, they did refund that money a week later) told me the APIM is just fine, nothing wrong with it, the FICM (best price I got from them was approx. $700) needs replacing. I had a gut feeling there was something not right though, they also told me I had a leak at a clamp on coolant reservoir and I have not seen it yet.

I carried back to first dealer, they have been great, and they diagnosed again, this time the APIM and the FICM checked out to be good, but now they say the ACM needs replacing, $470 for the part plus $300 labor.

When driving down the road the clock and the circles on that indicate cd's will light up and go off by themselves, power is intermittently getting somewhere. When off/on button or the clock button is pushed, same thing happens.

I also cannot find an aftermarket solution, well alpine may have one, but it is $3000. From watching videos on the internet I believe I could replace parts myself, but have no clue where to find them or how to program or would dealer program if I did find them?

My truck is in excellent condition, spotless inside and out, engine is clean, battery posts stay clean, fairly new battery, etc. Anyone have any experience with this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by headhunter130; 01-24-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello!
First I would like to say I don't know much, but...how's the alternator and has the battery been tested?
If that is fine, there are some things which can affect the radio which might seem crazy, but if you search on the 2004-2008 posts you'll find some threads about a spliced purple wire in the wire harness under the rear driver side door panel that tends to corrode and provide intermittent power and voltage spikes which affect the dome light, radio, seatbelt, auto door locks and others.
I can't say if this even exists in the newer models, but hey, maybe it's worth a search.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 AM

First thank you.

Battery is good for sure and since there have been no issues I am assuming alternator is to.

I changed my speakers out right after I got the truck, they were shot and passenger rear speaker would cut out. It had a bad wire.

I can look for that wire tonight. Dome light, seatbelt and door locks are ok so I am thinking that may not be it, and if so, did it cause the whole system to shut down?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:22 AM

Did you find the solution?

Quick Reply: 2012 f150 fx4, help!