Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F150 Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 F150 Cruise control problem

I have a 2012 f150 ecoboost and the cruise control quit working on the steering wheel. The stereo buttons also quit working on the other side a while before but the other buttons on each side still work. Replaced both switch packs that didnt fix it. Checked fuses and have not found anything else wrong. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

It's likely the ABS/steering clock spring under the steering wheel.

I just had to replace mine because the steering wheel lights and left side controls were intermittent.

Ps. if it affected both sides you should not have wasted money on the switches. They wont both go bad at the same time.

Aliexpress had the best price on the clockspring shipped from china. Same manufacturer that makes the FOMOCO part, as FOMOCO was stamped right into it.

Part number # BL3T-14A664-BL3T may look a touch different and or have more connections but it is the upgraded part and is used in various ford vehicles.

Easy as pie to replace too.

Unplug battery,

remove airbag, UNPLUG ALL electrical connections.

unbolt steering wheel with torx. (no puller needed)

pull wheel,

remove column shroud,

remove small torx holding clockspring in (3 or 4 screws)

replace and put it all back together.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the stereo buttons quit about a year ago and now the cruise control quit on the other side is what led me to believe it was the switches. But I will look into that thanks!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Ahh okay that is understandable then. But ya, cost me $60 canadian from aliexpress came within 10 days.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

clock spring, seems to be a common issue. my controls will sometimes not work on first press. i need to replace it but hesitant i will mess it up
Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM

I actually wrecked mine the first time I changed my steering wheel out from the foam junk to a leather wrapped wheel. I managed to figure out how to wrap the wire ribbon inside and glued the retainer back in but after a year it completely failed.

My issue was not unhooking the electrical connector at the top and I just yanked the wheel away without thinking after removing the TORX. Went into it like a bull in a china shop lol.

Learned my lesson and it's honestly a 30 minute job start to finish.

Just go slow, UNHOOK THE BATTERY!

Watch a youtube video about removing the airbag if you must (3 small holes in the backside of steering wheel, insert a long 4 or 5mm allen key and push, the airbag will pop up, do the sides first and the bottom last, then remove the two small electrical connectors on the back of the airbag.)