Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Platinum F150 - Dream Truck Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Platinum F150 - Dream Truck Help

Hello Everybody,

I sure would appreciate everyone's technical expertise and infinate wisdom to guid me in the right direction. My next truck will be a Ford F150 Platinum Edition. At this time it is my understanding that it will have the all new 5.0 dual overhead cam, 4 valve per cylinder, aluminum head/ block Coyote V8 with 400 hp and 400 lb. ft. of torque.

Is it possible to get this engine to 500-550 hp/ torque range without any major reworking of the engine or transmission. My thoughts are to add the aftermarket, mostly bolt on items below to try and achieve these kind of performance gains.

1. Airaid Performance CAI w/ filter, CA Dam, and tubing.

2. True Dual Exhaust System

3. Performance Headers (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)

4. Performance Cat Converters (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)

5. Performance Mufflers (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)

6. CHIP/ Engine Programmer (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)

7. Performance Electric Radiator Cooling Fans (any suggestions?)

8. Spark Plugs (Denso, NKG, Bosch, Platinum, 4 conductor, 3 conductor, 2 conductor...any suggestions?

9. Airaid Throttle Body Spacer (Does it work? More HP/ Torque?

10. Tires - Mostly for on-road driving but he occassional off-raod excursion. (I like Michelin

You infinite wisdom and expertise is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks a bunch,

Robert
Old 01-06-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

First let me say that these are all guesses and are based on my knowledge and understanding of the 5.4L, as I doubt if anyone has done ANY testing with the new engine.

1. Airaid Performance CAI w/ filter, CA Dam, and tubing.
Won't accomplish much without a custon tune and probably won't be available until late 2011
2. True Dual Exhaust System
Will add very little hp and may hurt low end torque
3. Performance Headers (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)
No clue.
4. Performance Cat Converters (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)
No clue.
5. Performance Mufflers (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)
Probably won't add much
6. CHIP/ Engine Programmer (don't know what kind would be good, any suggestions?)
Depends on the PCM and the factory calibrations.
7. Performance Electric Radiator Cooling Fans (any suggestions?)
No clue
8. Spark Plugs (Denso, NKG, Bosch, Platinum, 4 conductor, 3 conductor, 2 conductor...any suggestions?
Won't add much, if any.
9. Airaid Throttle Body Spacer (Does it work? More HP/ Torque?
Total waste of money
10. Tires - Mostly for on-road driving but he occassional off-raod excursion. (I like Michelin)
How are tires supposed to add hp.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raised white letters are good for 12hp
Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 AM

^^ lol
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun
First let me say that these are all guesses and are based on my knowledge and understanding of the 5.4L, as I doubt if anyone has done ANY testing with the new engine.

10. Tires - Mostly for on-road driving but he occassional off-raod excursion. (I like Michelin)
How are tires supposed to add hp.
LOL, sorry was up late last night and very tired when I asked that question. Guess waht I meant was some GOOD tires that would transfer the new found HP/ Torque to the ground.

Thanks for the replies! Any suggestions on a good custon tune chip/ programmer?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

None of that stuff listed is going to add 100-150hp to any gasoline engine. At most you MAY get 25. And a true dual exhaust on anything will always do more harm than good.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by speed4tu
None of that stuff listed is going to add 100-150hp to any gasoline engine. At most you MAY get 25. And a true dual exhaust on anything will always do more harm than good.

Thanks Speed4tu!

Just to clarify, I thought a true dual exhaust would allow the engine to "breathe" better, in return delivering more power. What do you mean "more harm than good"? Can you please elaborate?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 PM

i know in my 89 mustang, when i put 2.5" exhaust on, i lost low end torque. when i replaced it with 2.25 my power came back. my issue had to do with that engine worked better with more the more back pressure i had. i don't know if that is still the case or not today.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robxbcs
LOL, sorry was up late last night and very tired when I asked that question. Guess waht I meant was some GOOD tires that would transfer the new found HP/ Torque to the ground.

Thanks for the replies! Any suggestions on a good custon tune chip/ programmer?
Tires? No clue. I look for tires that provide the best all around wet and dry traction when towing, good wear, and low road noise. I've still got the stock Goodyears and they do fine. I will probably go to Michelin when these wear out.

Programmer: Too early to recommend the clear winner, but PHP is (IMHO) the best for 97-2008. Still waiting on the 09-10, although I expect similar results.

Originally Posted by speed4tu
X2

Originally Posted by paulwest27
i know in my 89 mustang, when i put 2.5" exhaust on, i lost low end torque. when i replaced it with 2.25 my power came back. my issue had to do with that engine worked better with more the more back pressure i had. i don't know if that is still the case or not today.
5.4L, 3V is exactly the same although a tuner can help recover the low end torque if you just have to have a loud exhaust. Not sure if the 5.0L will be the same or not, but probably.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the responses so far, I'm learning a lot.

I just thought of a better way to phrase the questions I have....

What would your list of the "Top 10 Best Performance Enhancements" be?, with of course number 1 being the most beneficial and go from there listing the product type, manufacturer and expected performance on the 5.4 V8 (3 valve).

Please suggest only bolt on or slight modifications like cold air intakes, exhaust, custom tunes, etc... and not new cam shafts, engine rebuilds, new rear end, etc...

Thanks in advance for you time and expertise. This forum ROCKS!!

Last edited by robxbcs; 01-06-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Platinum F150 - Dream Truck Help