Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FX4 Tire and wheel options

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 FX4 Tire and wheel options

Hey Guys, I am new to the forum and am currently in the process of finalizing my order to be put in at the dealer for a 2011 FX4 with Ecoboost. I have one thing that keeps coming up with my order and that has to do with the wheel and tire package.

I prefer the look of the 20" optional wheels over the 18" wheels, but have heard horrible things about the tries that wrap that wheel set from the factory. I heard they are pirelli scoprion ATRs. The conflicting thing is that tire research sites say great things about these tires, and then I read from everyone elses real world experience that they suck.

Therefore I want to hear some opinions on the scoprion ATRs from your real world experience in all conditions...dry,wet,mud,ice and especially snow(light and deep).

I would appreciate any help you can offer so that i dont have to spend another $1200 right out of the gate on a different set of tires to replace these if they will perform well.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Get 20"s and then trade em in for good rubber.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '10 FX4. The Pirellis are a really good tire. They have excellent traction for three seasons and average traction for the winter. Braking in the winter is poor compared to Michelin Latitude X ice but are on par with normal all season and AT tires. I compare them to the bridgestone Revos. They are second to them. The Revo have better wet traction and off road capability. I haven't had the Pirellis off road but from my experience the are not a true AT tire. They are closer to a road tire that could get you out of a tight spot if needed. I would think they would clog instantly. Again compared to the Revos they are poor for off road. The Revos perform exceptionally well off road. BFG ATs are not as good as the Revo or Pirellis in all conditions. This is an account of my experience with each of these tires. I am biased toward winter tires. Nothing is as good as an ice radial. The Revos are a better AT tire but for on road the Pirellis are a very close second almost tied if it wasn't for the Revos wet traction advantage. I would buy them again if needed.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

The Pirelli tires are P rated, lightweight, mushy riding, roly poly tires that are OK for going to Church, Wal-Mart and for riding Maw Maw to a card social. I can't wait to slap on some real tires say BFG, Nitto or Toyo's that at least get you through a cow pasture without getting stuck, offer more resistance to flat's and in the all important look's dept score high! 20's are way overpriced and I wish I had gone with the 18's. Just my 2 cent's!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 AM

the fact that thee tires make a decent on road tire seems to be the consensus but the second you take them off road they becomes worthless.

Anyone have any opinions on the optional LT tires that come on the 18" wheels? I believe they are goodyear wrangler ats tires???

I have heard they are a little better especially since they are at least a LT tire compared to a P tire.

let the opinions rain...the more the better!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:04 AM

If you like the pirellis you are the only one.

They should not be mentioned in the same sentence as the Revos.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the rims u want and change the rubber.
unless u dont want either than get the cheapest one and trade it all in!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would buy the Revos over and over as I have in the past. All I am trying to convey is that for what they are and how most people use the they are okay. I have had worse (Goodyear for one). I had a set of Yokahamas once and liked the too but I have always gone back to the Revos. I would put them on now if I could afford to. I cannot complain yet about the Pirellis. I can see how off road they would be worthless and like I said they are not what I would recommend for winter use. So if you want an ultimate AT tire, spend the money, buy the Revos!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 202 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by baldy500
I have a '10 FX4. The Pirellis are a really good tire. They have excellent traction for three seasons and average traction for the winter. Braking in the winter is poor compared to Michelin Latitude X ice but are on par with normal all season and AT tires. I compare them to the bridgestone Revos. They are second to them. The Revo have better wet traction and off road capability. I haven't had the Pirellis off road but from my experience the are not a true AT tire. They are closer to a road tire that could get you out of a tight spot if needed. I would think they would clog instantly. Again compared to the Revos they are poor for off road. The Revos perform exceptionally well off road. BFG ATs are not as good as the Revo or Pirellis in all conditions. This is an account of my experience with each of these tires. I am biased toward winter tires. Nothing is as good as an ice radial. The Revos are a better AT tire but for on road the Pirellis are a very close second almost tied if it wasn't for the Revos wet traction advantage. I would buy them again if needed.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
I have to agree with this post. I'll keep them until they wear out and then get a set of Revos.

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 Tire and wheel options