Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F-150 Backup Camera Blue Screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2011 F-150 Backup Camera Blue Screen

Has anyone experienced the Blue Screen on the backup camera? Mine is on the rear view mirror.

At first, it was intermittent and opening and closing the tailgate seemed to get it to work. Now, its been out for good. Ive tested both connections (camera and by the rear spare) and seem fine. Mirror shows blue screen when going into reverse if the camera was physically connected or not. This leads me to believe that its the short harness from the camera through the tailgate.

I have seen a few other forums of people complaining about it and then no follow up. I hate when people don't follow up! take 5 mins!

What is also funny is that the manual says that on the rear view mirror, the backup guide lines are fixed and can not be turned off... quite the opposite, i have the setting and also keep setting them to ON and the truck turns it off after each start. very annoying.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My "fixed" guidelines have had a mind of their own since day one too. Very annoying.

I suspect Microsoft somehow incorporated their infamous BSOD (blue screen of death) from sync into our cameras. Ford will probably just tell us to reboot!
Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I get the blue screen from time to time. I believe it is a communication fault. I thought mine was a harness issue but now I sometimes get a mirror image (curb on the driver side when parallel parking). I doubt that could be a harness concern. Most recently I noticed my mirror no longer auto dims.

Gonna talk to my buddy at Ford and see if the mirror could be the problem. I am only aware of 3 major components to the system; camera - harness - mirror. Not sure if there is a control module hidden somewhere or if its built into the mirror.
The following users liked this post:
walley_eye (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

The fixed guidelines are a real pain here too.....every time I turn them on.....next start, they're gone again. I haven't experienced the blue screen issue on my 2011 though.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts

My 2011fx4 did that they reprogrammed something with the camera and it fixed it
Old 08-14-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Blue screen most times just when I use remote start. No real prob other times. Guidelines go away after a few days every time I put them on. 2011 and I'm at 160k mi and gave up worrying about it long ago.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 AM

so, i pulled out the little wire harness and checked each wire, they all check good. I think the wire harness is robust enough. I doubt changing the actual camera will do anything (common dealership practice based on your trucks build date). when I physically disconnect the camera, put in reverse, the blue screen is still there. leads me to think it is a software issue and not a camera issue. doubtful its the mirror as the screen is still working. ive also ruled out it being a remote start or temperature issue for me but it could be for some. funky software would do that, its all related.

on another forum, one person mentioned an often missed update for the camera system. it adds new features such as the parking guidelines and the zoom settings. you have to kind of point it out to the dealer.

i really love the truck but little things just irk me lol. lot of little random computer things on the cluster act funny sometimes. guidelines, trailer sway control, the truck apps that give you your bank angles and steering angles are usually off. it may all be related and need a reboot.

ill check back if i can get to the dealer and get flashed.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same issue on my work van (AT&T Transit Connect). I have started to get the blue screen on the rear view mirror on occasion when backing into customer driveways. SO, doesnt look like its strictly an F-150 issue, may be Ford wide.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:51 PM

im going to a dealer to get a reflash Monday... on the phone they kept saying they want to 'diagnose' but regardless, i told them if i drive there, you will reflash everything! ive already done the diagnosing.

there were TSB's for the camera not working in hot temperature or after a remote start or the settings going back to default randomly? indicates software to me. we'll find out. other cars with the same issuess points to that too.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A blue screen typically means that there is no video feed coming from the camera. There is a video + and - that goes into the mirror that provide the video feed. Video + should be pin 8 on the connector that goes into the mirror and video - is pin 16. Might want try a continuity test between the connector that goes into the mirror and the camera.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Backup Camera Blue Screen