Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #2481
Member
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I checked my plugs today and they all looked the same. They were pretty good for having 35000 miles on them. The two middle plugs were around .036 and the other 4 were all a little more than .040. I set them all to .034. After I was done I took the truck out to see if there were any changes and the missing between 50 & 60 is worse. Acceleration seems to be better though. Any thoughts?
__________________
2011 F150 XLT 4WD EB SCREW
1992 Silverado Custom Stepside, 5.7, 5spd Man
and my baby, 2001 SAAB 93 SE Convertible
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #2482
Haulin Bass!
 
Riccochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 11
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Take all your plugs out and put them in the drier, tumble low for 15 minutes. Then put them back in your truck. This seems to be how Ford gaps their plugs at the factory.
__________________
2012 F150 SCAB EB (SOLD!)
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riccochet For This Useful Post:
ceh527 (03-18-2013), jayandsam09 (03-17-2013), TheRevJosh (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #2483
Keepin' the lights on!
 
Watt-maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BFE, NM
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 111
Thanked 198 Times in 146 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I checked my plugs today and they all looked the same. They were pretty good for having 35000 miles on them. The two middle plugs were around .036 and the other 4 were all a little more than .040. I set them all to .034. After I was done I took the truck out to see if there were any changes and the missing between 50 & 60 is worse. Acceleration seems to be better though. Any thoughts?
Were the plugs really tight when removing? If so you may have developed a hair-line crack on at least one of them. Also, how tight did you re-install the plugs? I believe the torque spec is 133 in/lbs for the spark plugs which is just little tighter than hand tight. If you went tighter than that, you may have cracked a plug.
__________________
2012 F150 EcoScrew 4x4 XLT 157"wb MaxTow
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website or any other website, pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my vehicle, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Watt-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #2484
Senior Member
 
TwinTurboFx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 133
Thanked 104 Times in 96 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt-maker View Post

Were the plugs really tight when removing? If so you may have developed a hair-line crack on at least one of them. Also, how tight did you re-install the plugs? I believe the torque spec is 133 in/lbs for the spark plugs which is just little tighter than hand tight. If you went tighter than that, you may have cracked a plug.
I think if the plugs were cracked the truck wouldn't run right at all.
TwinTurboFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2485
Keepin' the lights on!
 
Watt-maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BFE, NM
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 111
Thanked 198 Times in 146 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4 View Post
I think if the plugs were cracked the truck wouldn't run right at all.
Maybe, maybe not. I've seen where it will idle good but under load (especially with boost) is where you'll notice for sure.
__________________
2012 F150 EcoScrew 4x4 XLT 157"wb MaxTow
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website or any other website, pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my vehicle, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Watt-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #2486
Member
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt-maker View Post
Were the plugs really tight when removing? If so you may have developed a hair-line crack on at least one of them. Also, how tight did you re-install the plugs? I believe the torque spec is 133 in/lbs for the spark plugs which is just little tighter than hand tight. If you went tighter than that, you may have cracked a plug.
I probably did, I didn't use a torque wrench so they are in close to 15 ftlbs. That would be a few pounds over your spec. All of the passenger side plugs were very tight. I think I'll be buying a new set today gap them a bit wider and see what happens. I noticed a few plugs had what looked like rust on the insulator right at where it meets metal. I haven't seen that on automotive engines before.
__________________
2011 F150 XLT 4WD EB SCREW
1992 Silverado Custom Stepside, 5.7, 5spd Man
and my baby, 2001 SAAB 93 SE Convertible
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #2487
Keepin' the lights on!
 
Watt-maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: BFE, NM
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks: 111
Thanked 198 Times in 146 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I probably did, I didn't use a torque wrench so they are in close to 15 ftlbs. That would be a few pounds over your spec. All of the passenger side plugs were very tight. I think I'll be buying a new set today gap them a bit wider and see what happens. I noticed a few plugs had what looked like rust on the insulator right at where it meets metal. I haven't seen that on automotive engines before.
I wouldn't go any wider with the gap. The new for '13 spec is .030" to .033" so I'd go with that.
__________________
2012 F150 EcoScrew 4x4 XLT 157"wb MaxTow
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website or any other website, pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my vehicle, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Watt-maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #2488
Member
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I put in NGK 6509's and closed the gap down to .033. The truck does accelerate better like before. I think my miss/shudder getting worse yesterday had to do with the weather and not with the plugs because it's still there. I also noticed that the factory plugs are NGK's.
On to the next idea.
__________________
2011 F150 XLT 4WD EB SCREW
1992 Silverado Custom Stepside, 5.7, 5spd Man
and my baby, 2001 SAAB 93 SE Convertible
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #2489
Senior Member
 
TwinTurboFx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 133
Thanked 104 Times in 96 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I put in NGK 6509's and closed the gap down to .033. The truck does accelerate better like before. I think my miss/shudder getting worse yesterday had to do with the weather and not with the plugs because it's still there. I also noticed that the factory plugs are NGK's.
On to the next idea.
Bad fuel?
TwinTurboFx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #2490
Member
 
Flatlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboFx4 View Post
Bad fuel?
Naw, the temperature dropped 30 degrees yesterday. I've been on the same tank all week.
__________________
2011 F150 XLT 4WD EB SCREW
1992 Silverado Custom Stepside, 5.7, 5spd Man
and my baby, 2001 SAAB 93 SE Convertible
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Miss at idle and 60MPH. Need help please. JC316 1987 - 1996 F150 6 10-11-2012 01:17 AM
2011 Shuddering Poll Bob_Mac 2009 - Present Ford F150 44 04-20-2012 09:37 AM
I-6 Lagging at 60mph?? flaresf150 1987 - 1996 F150 0 11-06-2011 02:47 PM
2011 Ford Raptor 0-60MPH OutlawFord 2009 - Present Ford F150 5 05-20-2011 12:22 PM
vibrating at 55-60mph??? vtprairie03 1997 - 2003 Ford F150 4 02-26-2010 11:27 PM

Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.