Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 XLT 5.4 - Engine Problem!!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XLT 5.4 - Engine Problem!!

Had my oil changed at Valvoline (I know...but it was overdue and I was heading out on a road trip the next day). Truck ran fine that day, then we left to go out of town the following day.

Truck seemed to run fine all morning. We made a stop, got back on the road. I went to pass a slow moving vehicle and romped on it a little. Right after I overtook the vehicle it began to bog...then REALLY bog...then died and we rolled to a stop in a parking lot. Lifted the hood and looked it over. Got back in and tried to start it a few times and it would fire, then sputter out. The dash was showing the oil symbol. Checked the oil, it looks fine. I tried to restart, same start then sputtered out. Now the wrench light is on, oil light is off. I remembered the guy at Valvoline had my air filter out, so I removed it, made sure it was seated, pull the sensor and reconnected it. Then talked on the phone to the service mgr at my dealer for a few min. Got back in and it started up and ran fine. Oil pressure and temp per the dash guages was fine throughout this ordeal, I even noted it as it began to bog the first time.

Anyway, we were no where near a dealer and just said screw it and kept on driving. It seemed to sputter a little now and again whenever I had to accelerate quickly or had a steep grade and then engine had more load. I never pushed it the rest of the trip just in case. On the way back home I had to enter highway traffic, romped on it and it start running funny again. Thankfully I made it home. Still no engine light or anything.

Is there anything those guys at Valvoline could have done?

Obviously I will take it to the dealer Monday, but it's Saturday afternoon and I'm fishing for anything you guys got!! Thanks!!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. That's weird. Can't put my finger on anything except possibly the oil pressure sensor disconnected or something. Looks like we won't know until the dealer goes over it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So the oil light was only on while the engine wasn't running? I can't imagine why that would be

The oil change itself wouldn't have anything to do with this. Not ruling out that something didn't happen during the process though, who knows what wire could've been tugged on, or sensor bumped, or... could be completely coincidental. Maybe they made a big mess and washed down the engine compartment with water and something got wet? I suppose that could be possible too.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember a guy that posted similar problems with his truck. It turned out to be insulation in the fender had broken loose and clogged the air intake. Your troubles may be totally different but the loss of power and stalling out is what he experienced. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM

When you stopped did you refuel? Bad gas? Oil light would come as the vehicle is sputtering due to lower pressure.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the oil light came on to actual Low Oil pressure the wrench and Chk engine light would come on throwing a code. I dont think it would sputter due to low oil it would go to limp mode or something really bad would happen but it would not sputter then start normal then act up then act normal. I am betting clogged intake.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 153 Likes on 87 Posts

Did u know if u take your intake tube off the throttle body while the engine is running the engine will die out I have a 2010 xlt 4x4 5.4l
Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Ford FX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dac12046
Did u know if u take your intake tube off the throttle body while the engine is running the engine will die out I have a 2010 xlt 4x4 5.4l
If you pull your intake off at the throttle body, then the engine is pulling in air that has not been meassured/sensed by the MAF sensor (located near the air filter). Sense the truck isn't measuring any air coming into it, it throws your air/fuel ratio out of wack and the truck dies.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM

They might have used 10w30 or thicker I know a friend who used the thicker stuff and he told me it's ok mmmmm not for long his motor went kabbooommm one time I took my mustang to the quiky place and when I was going to leave I saw the sticker in the windshield yea 10w30 yup what Idiots they had to do it over again don't know if that's your trouble but you never know.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:27 PM
'10 fx4

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Default don't think it would be oil

I like the bad fuel clogged intake or something stranger but if it has oil in it even if it was 50w it would not bog it down all of the sudden after running fine. For your sake I hope it was something minor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 XLT 5.4 - Engine Problem!!