Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Help

Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2010 Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Help

OK, after doing research on here, I decided to wait until I needed new tires to get my Tire Pressure Sensor Fault fixed. My Tire Pressure Sensor Fault has been displaying for about a year now: OEM Tires - 2010 F150 XLT.

It was time for new tires, so last week I got a new set of tires for my truck. The Tire place said they could fix my Tire Pressure Sensor Fault. Before changing the tires they used their TPMS tool and found that 1 sensor was bad. While changing the tires, they replaced the bad sensor with a "Universal" sensor and all appeared fine according to their TPMS Tool....But, the error message and light was still showing on the dash. So, they ordered an Aftermarket Sensor made specifically for my truck. They installed it today, and I still have the same error....here's the info on the sensor they used...

VDO REDI-Sensor; 315/314.9 MHz; Multi-application Sensor; 50 psi Max Reading; OE vehicle relearn process w/TPMS scan tool required.

So, they've gone through 3 sensors now...two "Universal" Sensors (they thought maybe something was wrong with the first one they used), and now this REDI-Sensor which is supposedly a direct replacement for what I had. The tire shop thinks something is wrong with my computer. Their TPMS sensor is showing all 4 Tires are reading and it shows the pressure they are sensing. I think something is being missed to get the new sensor to "TALK" to the computer. The shop is using their TPMS Tool that is supposed to handle all this. They tell me this is the first Ford they've ever experienced a problem with...and, yes, I asked was this the first Ford they had done this on...answer was NO they've done many.

Ford Dealership wants $45 - $80 just to connect the computer to my truck to check this out. She couldn't tell me what the $45 - $80 range was for....but, I just think we're missing a simple step somewhere in getting the new TPMS to communicate.

Anybody been through this before?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM

After a little more research, I found the instructions on setting up a new sensor for a Ford...talked to the Tire place and they followed those instructions. They get the 3 OEM Sensors to work (Horn Chirp Confirms), but they can't get the last one to work...which also happens to be the last tire (Left Rear) in the re-learn process.

Thought I found the fix, but turns out they were doing it correctly. Still looking for a solution.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Beer Drinkin Hell Raiser

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I work at a GoodYear & we've used those RediSensors with no problems.
If the TPMS tool is reading the pressures & frequencys then the sensor is transmitting. It might just be the computer, but they might have to end up
getting factory one & trying that. At least thats what we would do.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

I'm just not sold on the fact that they performed the Re-Learn process according to the Procedure for a Ford. I don't ever recall hearing my horn "chirp" when they were checking out the new sensor - I was in the waiting room and watching them through the glass. It should chirp once when you initiate the Re-Learn process and then chirp at each wheel as you go around to each one starting at the Left Front and ending at the Left Rear. I don't even recall seeing the technician doing anything around the other 3 wheels after he put the new tires on.

I don't want to insult their intelligence, but I'd really like to take the procedure that I have and get them to go through it with me, so that, I can see that it was followed to the letter. I'm just thinking if it's reading on their TPMS Tool...it should communicate with the Truck.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Update: Just got it fixed. I visited the Tire Place again and asked them if they would humor me and go through the Re-Learn process with me. They agreed and I took the lead on following the Re-Learn Procedure I had downloaded from the Redi-Sensor Website. As I was initiating the Re-Learn, the technician told me I was doing it incorrectly, I asked him to just humor me...and once I got to the end of the initiation...the horn CHIRPED....just like it was supposed to. Technician was amazed and then went around to each wheel. The last wheel in the Re-Learn sequence was the one in question, and IT WORKED! So, all is good.

I talked to the technician and he said he was initiating the Re-Learn by hitting the Hazard Lights 3 times....my procedure involved a certain pattern of ON-Off of the ignition switch....a tap to the brake pedal....then another Off-On pattern of the ignition switch.

All is good now.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Beer Drinkin Hell Raiser

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad to hear it ! Oh yeah the ole turn ign on 3 times, tap brake pedal etc etc .. I have to say Dodge has it right - put sensor & drive - it relearns automatically. Don't know why others can't just do that. Hope you didn't make the tech feel too bad but man they should know how to do that especially if it's tire place !!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you were absolutely correct your tech didnt know his stuff. i use redi sensors everyday they are very reliable.
1. A Ford Relearn is performed by using a sequence of on and off key turns along with break pedal tapping.

2. A Ford retrain is performed using hazard lights. We suggest to never use the Ford retrain sequence.
Using “Retrain” will not allow new sensor IDs to be learned in.

RELEARN.

1. Press brake once and release
2. Ignition cycles: OFF - ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON within 60 seconds.
3. Press brake once and release
4. Turn OFF
5. Ignition cycles: OFF - ON - OFF - ON - OFF - ON.
=> Horn chirp => Receiver is now in “Learn Mode”.
Learning the IDs:
Note: All sensors need to be reprogrammed even if one single sensor was
changed.
1.Start at Left Front wheel and proceed clockwise around the vehicle.
Left Front; Right Front; Right Rear; Left Rear.
=> Every time the receiver receives a valid RF transmission from a triggered
sensor, the horn will chirp.
2. Proceed until all 4 wheels are completed.
3. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
4. Restart vehicle to insure TPMS light no longer on.
The following users liked this post:
eleven (08-27-2019)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry for bringing an old thread back, once it is in "Learn Mode" what are you doing to make the truck recognize each new sensor? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Sorry for bringing an old thread back, once it is in "Learn Mode" what are you doing to make the truck recognize each new sensor? Thanks!
This link should be helpful.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...-f-150-pickups
Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

after a relearn process is complete and the light is out my tpms light will come back on after 20 minutes or 20 miles. some times after reset and then tpms light comes back on it will go out again. air pressure is correct, maybe a weak battery in one sensor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Tire Pressure Sensor Fault - Help