Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 OEM Keyless Entry Key Pad

Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2010 OEM Keyless Entry Key Pad

Ok guys, I finally got this thing figured out for 2009-2010. It is definitely possible to get an OEM keypad to work on your truck. The dealer will tell you it can't be done but it can.

Special thanks to EcoboostXLT & 02Raptor, and anyone else you participated in their instructional write up for programming 2011-2012. These guys figured out how to change the code in the BCM and created a how-to power point presentation. They posted a link to the file which resides on filefactory.com.

For 2009-2010 (possibly earlier) There is a GEM module in the Smart Junction Box, which is where the keypad programming resides. In 2011, the GEM was replaced with a BCM. The line number and coding are different as well. I could ramble on about all the technical junk because I find it fascinating but I won't. Below are the basic instructions for getting the keypad to work; assuming you already have door handle with keypad already installed on your truck. If not, you will need to purchase one. There's a how-to on here somewhere if you need it.

Your main objective is to reprogram the GEM module on your truck. I'm sure most of us don't have the Ford IDS software, so you will have to get the dealer to program the module for you but you will need to supply them with the build data. Most likely, the dealer will not reprogram a single line of code. They will reprogram the entire GEM module.

Find a truck that is as similar to yours as possible but has the keypad. If you have an XLT, search other XLTs. I went to CarMax.com to find my comparison truck but you can go wherever you like as long as you can access the VIN. Write down the VIN because you will need it to obtain the build data.

Go to Motorcraftservice.com and click on register/join. Log in, then select Reprogramming & Initialization. This is located in the lower left-hand corner of the screen under My Subscriptions. Click on Module Build Data (as built), enter your VIN and click submit. Copy and paste the resulting data onto an Excel spreadsheet or Word document. Label the data with your VIN so you can identify it as yours. Now, go back to the screen where you entered your VIN and enter the VIN from your comparison truck. Again, copy and paste the data so you can compare it with your data. Label the data with the appropriate VIN. Below is the build data you want to compare:

Generic Electronic Module Generic Electronic Module
GEM Module GEM Module
GEM*726-01-01 500A 89 GEM*726-01-01 500A 89
GEM*726-02-01 03C0 2323 39 GEM*726-02-01 03C0 2323 39
GEM*726-03-01 0D00 3E GEM*726-03-01 0D00 3E
GEM*726-04-01 0638 GEM*726-04-01 0234
GEM*726-05-01 040C 43 GEM*726-05-01 040C 43
GEM*726-06-01 0000 34 GEM*726-06-01 0000 34
GEM*726-07-01 2505 5F GEM*726-07-01 2505 5F
GEM*726-08-01 0006 023E GEM*726-08-01 0006 023E
GEM*726-09-01 D002 09 GEM*726-09-01 D002 09
GEM*726-10-01 8000 0000 00BE GEM*726-10-01 8000 0000 00BE
GEM*726-10-02 0000 0000 003F GEM*726-10-02 0000 0000 003F
GEM*726-10-03 0000 0000 0040 GEM*726-10-03 0000 0000 0040
GEM*726-10-04 0000 41 GEM*726-10-04 0000 41
GEM*726-11-01 1400 53 GEM*726-11-01 1400 53

Line: GEM 726-04-01 is the code for the for the keypad. In the example of above, the left-hand column is the build data from the truck with the keypad. The right-hand column is the build data from the truck without the keypad. GEM 726-04-01 0638 (with keypad) GEM 726-04-01 0234 (without keypad).

WARNING: This line of code should be the only difference between your truck's build data and the comparison truck's build data. If there are other differences in data, find another comparison truck!! Programming data with additional variables may cause the malfunction other features that are controlled by this module.

Print your spread sheet or document and highlight the line GEM 726-04-01 on both sets of data. Take the printout to the dealer and convince them to reprogram your GEM module with the build data from your comparison truck (be sure to give the VIN to the dealer). Most likely, they will look at you like you're crazy and tell you it can't be done.

I by-passed my service writer and went directly to service manager. I showed him the spreadsheet I created with the comparison data along with the power point that EcoboostXLT and 02Raptor created. The service manager was impressed by the presentation of my information and agreed to reprogram my GEM. Of course, he would not guarantee the results and would charge me $90. I was ok with that.

SUCCESS!!

I will attempt to post a link to both my spreadsheet and the power point that EcoboostXLT and 02Raptor created. However, getting the file from filefactory.com was a pain. If anyone is interested, PM your email address to me and I will be glad to send it to you.

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Here are links to the files mentioned in the last post:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b9th...XLT_Other1.pdf

http://www.filefactory.com/file/78zy...DOORHANDLE.pdf
Old 09-25-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Followup question

willisod, your findings match what I thought to change on the 2010s to get the keypad activated. I've compared many as built configurations, but never got around to buying a keypad or get my GEM programmed. I'm glad you got it working and didn't brick the truck in the process.

Once you got it activated, how did you determine the master keypad code?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by mtech
willisod, your findings match what I thought to change on the 2010s to get the keypad activated. I've compared many as built configurations, but never got around to buying a keypad or get my GEM programmed. I'm glad you got it working and didn't brick the truck in the process.

Once you got it activated, how did you determine the master keypad code?
The dealer gave be the code which wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I read that the code would be on a sticker on the SJB. There were 2 stickers with 5 digit codes. I thought one of them would surely be the code but it was something different from either. I suspect the code I was given came from the build data we used.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Ah, so you had them load another trucks 'as built' data onto yours. I guess you got the donor truck's master code in the process. Do you recall what modules they reprogrammed? GEM, PCM? The reason I ask is that when comparing the GEM data between trucks, I did not see a section that contained master code. It may be coming from the PCM as built data, but I am not sure.

I was thinking of modifying the specific line in my trucks 'as built' data to activate the keypad. I do not want to risk loading a different truck's as built data onto mine. Convincing a dealer to do this is another story...

I also wonder if cloning the as built changes the VIN number the truck reports when connected to scan tools. This could be an unintentional side effect.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by mtech
Ah, so you had them load another trucks 'as built' data onto yours. I guess you got the donor truck's master code in the process. Do you recall what modules they reprogrammed? GEM, PCM? The reason I ask is that when comparing the GEM data between trucks, I did not see a section that contained master code. It may be coming from the PCM as built data, but I am not sure.

I was thinking of modifying the specific line in my trucks 'as built' data to activate the keypad. I do not want to risk loading a different truck's as built data onto mine. Convincing a dealer to do this is another story...

I also wonder if cloning the as built changes the VIN number the truck reports when connected to scan tools. This could be an unintentional side effect.
We only flashed the GEM module. There was only one line of code that was different between my truck and the donor. I figured the dealer would simply change the one line of code but I guess it was easier to reflash the entire module.

Regarding the code, where that coding resides. I always heard the code was on the sticker on the SJB but I don't know how true that is. Especially, because our trucks did not come with a keypad. When I realized the code the dealer gave me was different from what I thought it would be, I contacted the service manager to ask where the code came from. He had my service writer respond to me saying the code was generated from the GEM. I can't really verify this and didn't really think about it until after the fact. So, who's to say if the code is really mine or the donor's.

Were you able to access the files I posted on filefactory.com? They could be helpful in illustrating to the dealer that you know what you are talking about. If not, let me know and I can email them to you.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:11 PM

I'll share my experiences with adding a wired keypad to my '10 F150.

My '10 F150 came with a code card. After installing the keypad, I noticed that it seemed dead. It only lit up when I opened the door. It would not light up when buttons were pressed. Getting a card with your truck does not indicate that the keypad is plug and play.

My method was slightly different than the one willisod posted. I could not find a donor truck that came with the keypad that had the same 'as build' data as my truck. All I did was printed out the 'as build' data for my truck from motorcraftservice.com . I used a pen and crossed out the value for line GEM 726-04-01. Your data should read 0234 for that line. This indicates that your truck is not programmed for keypad. With your pen, write down 0638. This means keypad installed. Bring this sheet with you to the dealer.

The GEM module across all the '10 F-150s is the same. The 'as built' data that is programmed tells the unit what options you have. I'd like to clear up some mis information I posted previously on this thread. The GEM module comes hard coded with a master code when it is made. Each GEM will have a different master pin. The master pin is printed on the sticker on the GEM (the GEM is the fusebox in the passenger kick area) on the back side of the module (side facing the outside of the truck). It’s difficult to read when the GEM is screwed in. You will need a mirror / camera or just unscrew it. The dealer can also query the module for the code when it is connected to the IDS. This is one step better than having the dealer get it from the PTS website as your truck didn't come with the keypad originally. We scanned for my code right after programming the new 'as built' data. This code matched the numbers I got on the card when I bought the truck. The GEM in my truck was never replaced, so this makes sense.

The dealer WILL give you a hard time and tell you it can't be done. Based on the tools they have and info they’ve been provided, they really don't know of a way to do it. The IDS software previously had an option back in October 2010 that would just let them activate the keypad. Now when they go to that option, they get a message that it is not supported or recommended. The method I used to get it to work is a hack. You must tell them that this is not a normal service request. Bring the data you want them to load and insist that you be present when the tech programs it. There are 14 lines of code that need to be entered manually. Make sure when the tech types it that they get it correct without any mistakes. If an error is made, you may potentially have a problem that may be near impossible to track down. Familiarize yourself with the programming procedure outlined in the powerpoint created by EcoboostXLT & 02Raptor for the '11 + '12 trucks. The procedure is nearly the same. The '10 has a GEM module not a BCM. Also the line of code to change on a '10 is different. Do your homework and you’ll be ready for battle when you arrive at the stealership.

Don't get scared if the 78 90 keypad buttons do not lock the doors initially after programming. We left the IDS connected after programming to test things out. The door was kept open because of the cable running from the VCM to the laptop. It turns out the door needs to be CLOSED for the 78 90 hotkey to lock the doors. I was ****ting bricks when things were not working as expected… especially after battling with the dealer to even let me do this.

Also, don't blindly copy the build data from another truck that has a keypad. This is a bad idea because everyone’s truck has different 'as build' data. Unless you confirm that the data is the same as yours, don’t risk it. Use the data for your truck and modify the specific line that pertains to keypad.

Thank you thank you thank you to willisod, EcoboostXLT, 02Raptor and everyone who came together to figure this out. I’m so happy I got a wired keypad on my '10.
The following users liked this post:
CalebJns (02-27-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 PM

Good job MTECH!! You are the only other guy I know to have successfully installed a working keypad on a 2010.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Older post, but have read this one as well as the 13 pages on the one for the other years...Very interested in doing this to my truck as well...I also have a 2010 F150 XLT...very curious as to what the part number for the door handle is...would like to make sure I purchase the correct one...also, is all the wiring already in the door? The handle is in theory a plug-n-play handle, then reprogram the GEM? Would it be possible to get the information mentioned above emailed to me? Caleb_jns(at)yahoo.com...too new on the Forum to access the PM function
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM

I have an xlt and the wiring was in the door. Not sure if they all have the wiring... better check before buying a handle. The part number for the door handle varies. It depends on what color the handle is. Some are painted to match body, some are black. The color of the strap part also influences the part number. FWIW, my handle is black textured (not smooth finish) with chrome strap with keypad Ford 9L3Z-1522405-AB. Work with your local ford dealer's parts department to determine the correct one for your truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 OEM Keyless Entry Key Pad