Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Crewcab Warning light "wrench"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Crewcab Warning light "wrench"

Out for a drive today and noticed a "wrench" showing in the message center. 5.4l with 7400 km big uh oh or not? Om says its throttle related, anyone had similar experience? Gone after parking for half hour.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 PM

Truck went into dealer today and told there was nothing in the history and truck was running fine. How can I have had a warning light and nothing saved? Anyone?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM

bubz,
from what ive always been told, the ecm dosent store codes it only displays them when they are presenting an error. it usually takes several faults to illuminate the MIL (Malfunction indicator lamp). So unless its on they have no way of picking up the issue. When it comes on, if it comes on bring it to the dealer right away and have them read it. Could be something small like a pedal sensor.

Nick
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 AM
Vehicle Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

means tighten lug nuts
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if there is an intermittent issue the code should be stored as a historical code unless the battery was disconnected. That said either there is a weird electrical bug in the truck making the light turn on (can't say I've ever heard of this though), or the more likely issue is either they had the new kid using the GDS or whatever Ford has now and he goofed and cleared the code before it could be recovered or they don't want to tell you what it was.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...I just had a similar experience this morning. Started the truck using my remote start(Viper 5901)...entered the vehicle and mistakenly touched the break pedal before putting in the key which of course kills the engine. 2 seconds later when i started it up with the key; up popped the mystery wrench. I made it to my destination 15 min later and as soon as i turned off the truck and restarted, it was gone and has not returned?

....I guess i'll watch it closely
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Once upon a time, I noticed that when I let off my gas pedal, the engine would hold the rpms for a few seconds before dropping. This only occured that one time, long enough for me to test/play with it to confirm the oddity. No engine lights or anything. But when I mentioned it to the dealer and they looked into it, they informed me that the throttle position sensor was indeed improperly adjusted. They corrected it and maybe it's just me, but the truck seemed to have a hair more throttle response. Who knows, but worth consideration.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The onyl time I ever saw the wrench icon was last year right before my PATS computer went out. It came up with the message 'TPMS Fault' though.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

On my old 05 I had the wrench pop up and took it to the dealer they said it was some problem with the fuel system. I planned to take it back in a few weeks for service but ended up getting delayed and after driving for a couple hundred miles it just turned off and I had never even sensed a problem other than the wrench. I talked to my buddy who is a mechanic and he said sometimes there is just a slight problem the light comes on and will eventually turn off. He works on Volvos though lol
Old 02-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 05FX4-
On my old 05 I had the wrench pop up and took it to the dealer they said it was some problem with the fuel system. I planned to take it back in a few weeks for service but ended up getting delayed and after driving for a couple hundred miles it just turned off and I had never even sensed a problem other than the wrench. I talked to my buddy who is a mechanic and he said sometimes there is just a slight problem the light comes on and will eventually turn off. He works on Volvos though lol

On the 05, probably the fuel cap was loose. takes a couple of trips to turn the light off. that is why the new ones dont have a cap. too many fuel evap. codes.

Quick Reply: 2010 Crewcab Warning light "wrench"