Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 4.6L trans shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 2010 4.6L trans shudder

I have a 2010 F150 4.6L has a trans shudder around 40-45 mph goes away if i completely let off gas or romp on it. Also doesnt happen in tow haul mode. I just bought it and I drove it for 2 days and it didnt do it. I noticed a spot on the driveway, had the leaking bulkhead connector. Dropped the pan changed the connector, filter and filled with new LV fluid. Then on my first drive it started doing the shutter. Came home double checked fluid I am right in the middle of hash marks when hot idling in park. From what I have researched there was a TSB to replace torque converter on the 4.6 but i has since been removed. There is a reflash TSB for harsh shifts. Just seems weird that I noticed it after doing the trans work. Anyone have any insight?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:25 AM

also I had the battery disconnected since i was removing the bulkhead connector off the trans just to be safe. Is there a trans relearn for these like there is for the torque shift trans?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I think it's the torque converter, I have it also but but its n the 25mph range, same as you to get rid of it.

I was out of warranty when it started and only happens once a month so I've never worried about it.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:28 AM

just wanted to update. I had the re flash of the tcm done. No improvement. I had been researching and after any engine repair it says you have to do a crankshaft/misfire relearn procedure but can only be done with the ford ids. I was doing a power steering flush and was unhooking sensors so the engine would crank but not start to flush all the old fluid out the return hose. Not sure what threw it off but they did the misfire relearn and all is ok so far. So it seems it was actually a misfire instead off tcc shudder.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to add the friction modifier. When you changed the fluid you should have added the friction modifier also. Sometime with age the recommended amount is not enough. Myself and a few others have had the same problem and adding dr trannys shudder fix solved the problem. Its a more concentrated form of friction modifier than what you get from Ford. Google torque converter shudder and you will see the dodge boys have the same problem also and most fix with fresh fluid and modifier or Dr tranny. Changing the torque converter seems be a waste allot of times as it returns and is fixed by a fluid change.

Last edited by tomtom52; 02-15-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:13 PM

Have you or has anyone personally used the Dr tranny in a ford 6 speed? The idea of additives has always scared me wondering if it will lead to another problem. Ford parts said they do not even sell a friction modifier for a transmission.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by powerstrokeaaron
Have you or has anyone personally used the Dr tranny in a ford 6 speed? The idea of additives has always scared me wondering if it will lead to another problem. Ford parts said they do not even sell a friction modifier for a transmission.
Yes. I used it in my 2010 several thousand miles ago and it worked like a charm. Another user used and said it worked for him also. He also had a 2010 with over 100k (I think). I tried after doing ALOT of reading about torque converter shudder. Google Dr tranny and also torque converter shudder and read what others on other forums have said and see what you think.

Last edited by tomtom52; 02-16-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:45 PM

which dr. tranny product did you use? I called lubeguard the company that makes dr tranny and they recommended 1 bottle of the lubegard red atf protectant and I may want to use 2 bottles if it is a larger capacity system? I asked about the dr. tranny shudder gard and they said that is more of an instant fix and the lubegard atf protectant will take 35-100 miles to start working. Also said I could use them together. They didnt want to seem to give me their exact recomendation based on my symptoms. What products did you use exactly? Just 1 tube of dr. tranny instant shuddergard?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM

I used 1 bottle of the instant and that worked for me. If the problem does come back then I may try the other stuff.

Quick Reply: 2010 4.6L trans shudder