2 questons - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - 2014 Ford F150

2 questons

Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 PM   #1
New Guy

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2 questons

1. I've seen nylon, steel, and aluminum leveling kits. Which should I go with? Whats the differences besides the material?

2. Is anybody running a 275/60r20 on stock fx4 wheels with no lift? I'm torn between getting a leveling kit and not.

Thanks in advance.

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer88 View Post
1. I've seen nylon, steel, and aluminum leveling kits. Which should I go with? Whats the differences besides the material?

2. Is anybody running a 275/60r20 on stock fx4 wheels with no lift? I'm torn between getting a leveling kit and not.

Thanks in advance.
i used to run a daystar 2in level which was a polyurethane spacer, in reality i got 1.5in of lift not the full 2 and it was pretty good for $110 but man once i added the extra 100+lbs of grille guard to the front in squashed them and my factory shocks back to stock height so then i just recently got fox 2.0s which is a leveling strut which uses spring load to lift the truck and it is a million times better than the daystar ever was, IMO if your going to level a truck spacers are the cheap way for a truck you won't be keeping long but if you plan to run it till the wheels fall off and then put new ones of then get a coilover leveling strut like fox or icon even rancho thought they aren't as good as they once were, yes a coiler will cost way more than a spacer ever will but that is the true way to go and you won't regret it i promise ,

do it right, cry once, and love it forever
Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanCulbreth View Post
i used to run a daystar 2in level which was a polyurethane spacer, in reality i got 1.5in of lift not the full 2 and it was pretty good for $110 but man once i added the extra 100+lbs of grille guard to the front in squashed them and my factory shocks back to stock height so then i just recently got fox 2.0s which is a leveling strut which uses spring load to lift the truck and it is a million times better than the daystar ever was, IMO if your going to level a truck spacers are the cheap way for a truck you won't be keeping long but if you plan to run it till the wheels fall off and then put new ones of then get a coilover leveling strut like fox or icon even rancho thought they aren't as good as they once were, yes a coiler will cost way more than a spacer ever will but that is the true way to go and you won't regret it i promise ,

do it right, cry once, and love it forever
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input. I don't drive my truck but 2 or 3 times a week at most so I'm just gonna some spacers. My DD is an Elantra for going to work.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Wiggum

I honestly don't know if it makes any real difference which material the kit is made of ... I just tend to think along the lines that either the kit is well made and worth it, or it's not. The kit I chose was/is the Autospring 1.5" kit ... steel, coated, very high quality, and gave me a tad more lift than I expected - which turned out to be a good thing.

The above issue re: the grill guard and its weight lowering the front end back to stock has nothing to do with the lift/level kit ... unless of course the spacers actually "squashed" under pressure - which goes back to what I said ... either the kit is well made, or it's not. I can't speak on that because I have no experience w/ that kit, and the guy who posted about it didn't say that the kit/spacers failed.

In any event, you can EASILY run 275/60's w/out a level/lift. Our stock tires are basically 32" tall ... the 275/60's are 33" tall ... only 1/2" bigger in any given direction, and same width as stock. I ran those on my 2008 FX4 w/out any level/lift.

If you really wanna do a level kit, I would highly recommend just getting the AS 1.5" kit... and if you feel the back end needs to be raised up, get slightly larger blocks and change them out yourself ... it's super easy to do.

Here's a pic of my truck w/ the 1.5" kit up front, 2" rear blocks (replacing the factory 1 3/8" blocks) ... and 295/60r20's on stock wheels. It's got about 1/2" rake and easily clears my tires.

Click the image to open in full size.

2014 FX4 SCrew : Tuxedo Black : 5.0L V8 : 3.73 E-Locker : 402A Pkg : MFT : 20% Tint : Custom FX4 Decals : 20" FX Wheels : AS 1.5" Level w/ 2" Rear Blocks : Cooper STT Pro 295/60r20's : F150lifts.com GLK

Build Order Date: November 26, 2013 || Production Date: December 6, 2013
Wiggum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:52 AM   #5

Default 2 questons

275/65/R20 with fox 2.0 set to stock ride height
Attached Thumbnails
2 questons-20150413_170312-1.jpg  
alpinestar1123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #6
New Guy

Thanks for yall's replies. This has really helped with my decision. I want to lift my truck, but part of me doesn't b/c my wife is only 5'3" and i have a toddler and a baby. I just bought a set of FX4 wheels and am going to the tires on those. Beautiful trucks guys.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
I honestly don't know if it makes any real difference which material the kit is made of ... I just tend to think along the lines that either the kit is well made and worth it, or it's not. The kit I chose was/is the Autospring 1.5" kit ... steel, coated, very high quality, and gave me a tad more lift than I expected - which turned out to be a good thing.

The above issue re: the grill guard and its weight lowering the front end back to stock has nothing to do with the lift/level kit ... unless of course the spacers actually "squashed" under pressure - which goes back to what I said ... either the kit is well made, or it's not. I can't speak on that because I have no experience w/ that kit, and the guy who posted about it didn't say that the kit/spacers failed.

In any event, you can EASILY run 275/60's w/out a level/lift. Our stock tires are basically 32" tall ... the 275/60's are 33" tall ... only 1/2" bigger in any given direction, and same width as stock. I ran those on my 2008 FX4 w/out any level/lift.

If you really wanna do a level kit, I would highly recommend just getting the AS 1.5" kit... and if you feel the back end needs to be raised up, get slightly larger blocks and change them out yourself ... it's super easy to do.

Here's a pic of my truck w/ the 1.5" kit up front, 2" rear blocks (replacing the factory 1 3/8" blocks) ... and 295/60r20's on stock wheels. It's got about 1/2" rake and easily clears my tires.

Yeah it literally squadhed the spacer and yeah it had alot to do with the factory shock but if you get a steel kit like autospring that wont happen , i got poly because at the time i didnt have the guard so it worked just fine ,
But i would reccomenf the autospring like he has if your going with a spacer
with the fox 2.0 set at 2 in and a 1.5in rear bloack i have about 1.25in rake and im sitting at about the stock height of a 4x4 maybe a little more
DylanCulbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Default 2 questons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer88 View Post
Thanks for yall's replies. This has really helped with my decision. I want to lift my truck, but part of me doesn't b/c my wife is only 5'3" and i have a toddler and a baby. I just bought a set of FX4 wheels and am going to the tires on those. Beautiful trucks guys.
Thank god for my platinum steps I have a 4 month old 17lbs and it's a pain to get him in a out and my truck is stock lol
alpinestar1123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestar1123 View Post
Thank god for my platinum steps I have a 4 month old 17lbs and it's a pain to get him in a out and my truck is stock lol
LOL When I bought the truck the I had them install some steps as part of the deal. I'm 6'1" and I had to stand on my toes to get in the truck.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
5 Year Member

I had the Bilstein level on my 07 and it's nothing more than an adjustable snap ring set into a groove on the strut housing - never had a problem.
I put a 2" Heavy Metal brand set on my '13, it's just a steel spacer for the top of the strut - no issues yet!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 PM