Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" leveling causing rub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" leveling causing rub?

Guys,

I have an '09 supercrew F/X 4. I installed a 2" leveling kit soon after purchase, so I don't know if this occurred before the leveling kit...

When the front end hits a dip while turning, for example as I'm turning a corner and go through a deep enough gutter, I hear a rub sound as the suspension lifts back up (or so it seems). Sound is coming from the front corner that hits the gutter first. I'm not hammering it either - not hitting the dip/gutter hard. Happens every time I turn into my office, for example, which unfortunately is too far away to demonstrate to service technician. Occurs on both sides. Ford looked at it and didn't see anything wrong.

Anyone else experience this before or after a leveling kit?

BTW, I have stock 18" wheels/tires with (I think) 275x65xR18 tires, so it is hard to believe tire rub.

Thanks for any insight.

C
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM

2010 fx4 with hbs 2" leveling kit...no issues here yet...knock on wood.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

what kit did you put it on.....and have you gotten your front end allignment done
Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

I saw on another forum that a couple of guys were having this same problem with their AS leveling kits. The coil spring was hitting the upper control arm, so I would check to see if thier is any paint missing from the top of the spring.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not rubbing. It's the traction control activating.
I also have an 09 FX4 SCrew, 2in HB kit and 305 65 18 BFG's and when i turn onto a streel that is not level i get the same "rubbing" sound and can feel it in my brake pedal. Look down at your dash next time and you'll see the traction control icon come on.
i don't know what the problem is but i did read that another guy with my same set up was having the same problem and his dealer told him it was because the tires were bigger.
i wish i knew how to solve it...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll take a look for paint on the coil, and watch for the traction control icon. I don't normally feel anything in my brake pedal.

Originally Posted by rpfireman
... and his dealer told him it was because the tires were bigger....
I might believe this is the case if I actually had larger tires. With my stock 275/65/18, it's hard to believe it's the tires.

C
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you're saying.
I had my tires put on before the leveling kit and it did it then too just as the other guy said.
I watched them put on the kit and when the truck was up on jacks and the suspension was extended all the way down the A arm was not touching the spring as others have said happends. It may during real driving conditions but i don't see any marks on the spring yet.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 PM

mine is completely stock and does it when i pull into my driveway.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpfireman
You're not rubbing. It's the traction control activating.
I also have an 09 FX4 SCrew, 2in HB kit and 305 65 18 BFG's and when i turn onto a streel that is not level i get the same "rubbing" sound and can feel it in my brake pedal. Look down at your dash next time and you'll see the traction control icon come on.
i don't know what the problem is but i did read that another guy with my same set up was having the same problem and his dealer told him it was because the tires were bigger.
i wish i knew how to solve it...
This is what you are hearing. I hear and get it also and I am on stock wheels and no lift yet. Bone stock.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 PM

I have my truck at the dealership today over this issue. I have been there multiple times over this and they have said in the past that there is nothing they can do. They do say it has to do with the larger tire size not the leveling kit.

This is the first time I have heard of a truck without larger tires having the issue. Makes me think there is more to the story........

Will follow with the dealerships diagnosis.

Quick Reply: 2" leveling causing rub?