Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" level, CV angle and destruction

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:49 AM
got mule?

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 2" level, CV angle and destruction

'12 FX4 with a 2" autospring installed.

THREE IWE blow outs. 2 replaced under warranty. On the third, the engineer got involved and denied claim on "severe CV angle due to level kit, cv angle out of spec". No further discussions, reasoning, nothing. So basically if I engage 4 wheel drive it'll cost my $195 for a new driver side IWE. When I had my engine replaced a yr ago the advisor told me I might be blackballed on any further IWE/front diff/4wd issues, even if I go back to stock and experience another blowout. For two winters I've been taking my limp dick to the whorehouse and all the girls laugh at me when my "OFF ROAD" truck gets stuck on a .000001% grade with a dusting of snow.

I got the truck stuck on a driveway the other night and slid down over a hillside. Towing company had to winch me out.

My wife keeps telling me I should just take the kit off and go back to stock so we can use 4wd. I'm tending to agree, however, I keep thinking of the 1000's of truck with levels that never see this issue. Autospring claims they never hear of this, of course why would they admit otherwise? My 05 with a level never had a single issue.

Family obligations have kept me from keeping up on car/truck tinkering and reading, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Is a front diff drop kit an option? To be honest I'm not sure one is even available.

Would the IWE Eliminator be an option? Seems unlikely as it won't help that cv angle.

I'd really like to keep the level kit. I'm also inclined to go back to stock, try 4wd and if it blows out trade the truck in and move on.

I'd appreciate not getting, "this is why I don't recommend level kits" replies, that isn't really helpful in this case.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM

Received 544 Likes on 451 Posts

definitely something off, maybe not torqued to spec when replaced?
Old 01-26-2016, 03:21 PM
Heartland of America

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How about dumping the level kit and getting an actual lift. They are quite a bit more expensive, but they adjust for angles etc. A 3" or 4" actual lift kit might get you out of the woods on IWE damage...
Old 01-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerFish
How about dumping the level kit and getting an actual lift. They are quite a bit more expensive, but they adjust for angles etc. A 3" or 4" actual lift kit might get you out of the woods on IWE damage...
Or adjustable coilovers. Fox/icon etc.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Wtf did I just read 🤔😳✋🏻
Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 60k on with a 2.5 inch level. And an additional 40k with 6 inch lift + 2inch level.
Only issue has been upper balljoints on both sides. (Cheap and easy repair). Only issue i have had with iwe was the crappy vacuum lines that become brittle with age. I replaced with rubber lines and never looked back. I think you have issues other than the level.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:20 PM

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Just do away with iwe's. These will make it where the transfer case sets the 4wd not the transfer case and the iwe

http://www.rcvperformance.com/produc...spx?sku=IWE-FD

Lifetime warranty if you break it.

I do think you lose 4wd auto with this though. I've never used the auto setting so I wouldn't care. But maybe someone does

Last edited by rymax101; 01-26-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:56 PM
got mule?

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks, but not looking for an actual lift. It's level or back to stock.

At this point it's looking back to stock. Maybe uninstalling will uncover a mistake. It will at least tell me if everything is OK at stock height. If the IWE blows at stock height then it's punt it and move on to a different truck.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:13 PM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rymax101
Just do away with iwe's. These will make it where the transfer case sets the 4wd not the transfer case and the iwe

http://www.rcvperformance.com/produc...spx?sku=IWE-FD

Lifetime warranty if you break it.

I do think you lose 4wd auto with this though. I've never used the auto setting so I wouldn't care. But maybe someone does
This looks to be like the next best thing beside some warn manual hubs. I always wondered why they could make vacuum and manual hubs for the Super Duty but not for the 150.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Never heard of such a thing... This past Friday I drove to work in 4hi in 10+" of snow covered roads for 32 miles one way and back because they shut work place down 3 hours later. I have a autospring 2" level Never a problem. Had this same kit for almost 2 years now. Not the first IWE concern. I think the problem is somewhere else or whoever are putting them in are damaging them when replacing. And for the RCV kits, when installed the whole front diff axle and all turns whenever the wheels are rolling. Making more wear on everything, thus constant parts replacing on a diff thats not made to turn all the time. Also take a hit on MPG.

Last edited by bluefox_gt; 01-26-2016 at 11:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2" level, CV angle and destruction