Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 F-150XLT Cranks but doesn't start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '09 F-150XLT Cranks but doesn't start!

The Truck: 2009 F-150 4.6W V8 148K Miles

What’s Happening: When the outside weather is cool the truck starts immediately. It will continue to run as normal regardless of engine temperature or distance. When the weather is hot or it has been sitting in direct sunlight it will crank but not start. More specifically, when the key is turned once the starter will crank continually for about five seconds-ish (haven’t actually timed it). Repeating the action yields the same results until the weather outside is more cool.

Attempted Remedies #1 Fuel Pump Module: After reading blogs and watching youtube videos, a common cause was the corrosion of the Fuel Pump Module. I lowered the spare tire and removed the module, but the module does not appear to be damaged in any way. In addition – for this model year the aluminum part casing has be replaced with an all plastic casing. I am assuming this was to correct Ford’s earlier mistake.

Attempted Remedies #2 Fuel Pump Relay (and major temper tantrum): Blogs also indicated the Fuel Pump Relay may be to blame. I went to the parts store and bought the relay ($15). I then consulted the manual to locate the old relay. I could only find the Fuel Pump Fuse. I then tried to find the location by looking online. I successfully found references of its location within a battery junction box. Based on the diagram and the size of part this is not the same box as the box at the front center of the engine when you open the hood. I am assuming that it was in a fairly obvious place, but I couldn’t find it. I got very mad and then got very drunk. Does anyone know where this box is so I can swap out the relay and see if this is a cheap fix?

I am assuming that because the temperature is a factor the expansion of gas and change in pressure is affecting something. Unfortunately I only know enough about cars to do general maintenance and to know that mechanics are dirty dirty cheats (especially but certainly not limited to the dealer). If I have to replace the fuel pump I will but I want to be fairly certain that is what is causing the issue (to say I have repair shop trust issues is an understatement). Has anyone had this problem? What did you do?
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have exactly the same problem ! Can't find what it is. Did you manage to fix it ?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

It could be an electrical issue with a board in a computer control module. This is a common problem in PCs. When the motherboard is cold everything fires up and runs. After a while the motherboard will heat up and cause an intermittent short that causes issues with the computer. The result is that the computer doesn't act right or flat out will not run at all.

This is just a suggestion since it is odd that when it's cold it runs, and when it's hot it doesn't.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Could be your evap purge valve under hood. There was a tsb and a bunch of no start/stall issues a few years ago

Ford tech makuloco has a good youtube video of it

Quick Reply: '09 F-150XLT Cranks but doesn't start!