Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Cab Corners Rusted Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 02:06 PM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Default '09 Cab Corners Rusted Out

Need some advice, 2009 F150 with rusted out cab corners. I wanted to keep the truck for another 6 years (had a '97 beforehand for 12 years). But this looks worse than my previous 12 yr truck and not really sure if any repair will not come back in just a few years. Should I get it fixed from dealer and keep it (since I may likely do a trade-in with them in the future), or have it repaired at my trusted body shop but will only warranty for 1 year and dump it? Rest of truck is in great shape.

Anybody have guesses on what is approximate cost to fix, I'm guessing around $2200 right now?

For all those interested, picture attached. I found what I thought was surface rust on it last year but no signs of perforation. So went to fix it by starting to scrap away the rust and bingo. I had sealed my third brake light the 2nd week I owned the truck (no signs of headliner water damage), all rocker holes underneath were sealed with butyl tape the next summer when I did my audio install. I'm beginning to blame the rear window right now.

My passenger side has two bubbles showing with no exposed rust.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, that's disappointing. I also keep my vehicles as long as they're reliable and sound. I'm going to have to look more closely at my '09. One of the benefits of having a white truck and putting up with the big refrigerator jokes is being able to easily see any rust that starts so you can head it off before it damages your truck. But you don't expect it to come from the inside like that on a modern automobile.

Re: the rust reappearing, I had a similar problem on a car once. Caught it early enough to stop perforation - but not the pitting. I scraped it as well as I could and coated it with a light oil (WD-40) which kept moisture away and the rust from redeveloping. I know there are more formal methods for dealing with rust but I had limited access to it, so coating it with oil to prevent further rust had to do. Had the car for another 6-7 years with no more problems. A good body shop could deal with it but you'll pay for it. Of course that would only work if the source of water into the truck was fixed.

If it were me, I would have it repaired by someone other than the dealer you plan to trade it in to. I'd be concerned that unless you have an understanding with them they might use it to argue less value, come trade-in time. In that scenario, the less they know about imperfections on your rig, the better. But I'm not a car salesman, so it's just an opinion.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Viet Nam Vet

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Fixing it never works for long. If you do fix it you should undercoat the repairs.

Salt, salt,salt..... Moved out of Michigan 4 years ago to Tennessee and will only visit during the summer..... The roads suck worse than they did when I left.....

Last edited by laddgr; 09-14-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:12 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, I'm still bummed. The funny thing this wasn't caused by salt, but by a water leak internally. Having a few guys here at work who does body work to get their opinion but what I've been finding is not a permanent fix unless kept up with rust prevent like you guys mention.

Quick Reply: '09 Cab Corners Rusted Out