Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Who has off-road Driving Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has off-road Driving Experience?

Rock climbing, muddling, high speed compact dirt, drifting around corners, what is different with driving a lifted rig or when to use 4wd and when to not. Anyone have the gas, brake and steering techniques and experience and can share?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

get out into an area and just do it the best way is learning by doing. just make sure u try and gradually get into any specific area with any type of speed. As for when to use 4x4 I lose my rear locker and 2wd and only put in 4wd once that fails and that way i dont barrie the front axle as well and hasnt failed me yet.

I've done quit a bit of different types of driving even on road courses and the best thing i can say is just get out there and do it man.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Also never turn your steering wheel all the way!!! I had to figure out the limit of mine so I went into an OPEN field and gradually stated wrapping donuts, our trucks are very easy to roll since they are already top heavy even without lifting. Never put it 4wd when on dry dirt unless the tires are biting down, if it starts to hop let off the gas because it can break a cv shaft!!! Good luck, have fun, and just use common sense and you will be alright!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EXTREEK
Rock climbing, muddling, high speed compact dirt, drifting around corners, what is different with driving a lifted rig or when to use 4wd and when to not. Anyone have the gas, brake and steering techniques and experience and can share?
Haha yea ... Being a cocky 17 year old with a farm I know a think or too about driving on dirt, rocks, and drifting... Only I 2x4 when driving on dirt roads to drift tho
Old 08-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Keep the speed in the dirt down slow and when you know what you are into give it the gas. If you don't know what to expect go slow. Most things get broke, wrecked, upset on its top from too fast. You can bet pulled out from stuck, but not so good if upside down. A double your weight winch is your best friend in the rough outcountry.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Best advice I have to give is get to "know" your rig. IE wear things are when wheeling' tire placement,axles whats gonna hit what. Knowing where things are under your truck is important. Find your rig's limits. These trucks aren't the ideal wheeler but they are quite capable for a full size.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on the rocks there are a few tricks you can use. If you have a LSD rear end, you can put the e brake in 2 clicks so it acts more like a locker. The one thing you never want to be in the rocks without is a good spotter. The other piece of advice I was given, and believe in, is if you can't afford to break it, don't go wheeling. That being said, there are different tires for different terrains, if you are mudding a lot, get mudders. I find A/T tires aren't good in the hairy stuff, but OK general purpose light wheeling and fire road stuff.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Some of what you ask is addressed here:

http://www.drivingfast.net/off-road/...m#.UDOvW0JCIsE
Old 08-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The old saying goes when in doubt, power out hahaha
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Unless there is another truck around to pull you out, 4wd is for getting out of trouble. Not getting into it!

As others have said you just gotta get out and play and learn your truck. Also as others have stated and I can't stress enough...small/smooth movements of the steering wheel and ditto on the gas & brakes. Even when it feels like the back end is going to come around no matter what you do small movements of the wheel and gas is all you need. If you go out and play/practice enough you'll learn to control the truck's momentum which is the key. Turn the radio off, phone off, etc and pay attention to what is happening and how it feels and sounds. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Who has off-road Driving Experience?