Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What are you using to tow from front D rings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you using to tow from front D rings?

I was just wondering what kind of set up people are using to tow from the front D rings. I'm not sure of a good solution. I hate to use a clevis seen too many tailgates and back windows smashed by them. Does anyone have a better idea? Just looking for front D rings. I'm all set towing from a hitch.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

I use this, youll pull the tow hook off the frame of the truck before you break this. not sure what kind of clevis youve seen break but these are stout.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
04 F150 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I use the rings above, if you support it to something that's not going anywhere tow hooks, hitch, etc.., there is no way it's going through your tailgate or window. Your only as strong as your weakest point though, so if you use a low quality strap, clevis, etc.. your setting yourself up for failure. I have 2 rings and 20,000lb lifting strap and have never had any problems.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Rammer Jammer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
I use this, youll pull the tow hook off the frame of the truck before you break this. not sure what kind of clevis youve seen break but these are stout.

yep that's what I got, they ain't gona break... ever lol
Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
Agreed. Those (when used properly (ie.; with the correct clevis pin and not side loaded) will not fail. Which is why there used in heavy applications, such as heavy rigging, farming and rescue. 99% of the time the 'software' (recovery strap/chain and/or rope) will fail before the 'hardware' (clevis/shackle and/or tow hooks)

Quick Reply: What are you using to tow from front D rings?