Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What happened to trail capability being cool?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What happened to trail capability being cool?

Howdy folks, I just joined and mentioned this in the intro section before realizing there was a dedicated off-road section. Basically I haven't owned a pick-up in 20 years and back then folks would lift them, throw some more capable meat on them, then hit the trail slowly enhancing their trucks journey typically through sus travel increase.

I'm laying out a plan for suspension and tire upgrades, something modest like a 4" lift on 33's. I've found that during research when people mention that setup, others say 35's look best on a 4" lift however when seeing the clearance photos, it appears that none of them would actually work on a trail that wasn't pristine.

Am I just old and out of the loop, ignorant, or missing something? I would think that jacking the truck up and stuffing the absolute largest tire under-it (low-profile to boot) would be just as crippling to an off-road capable truck as slamming it to the ground.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:52 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree with your statement about putting the biggest tire on. Makes no sense to me. If I spend money on a 4" or 6" lift I want to be able to flex it and use it...
Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

If you use the correct offset on the wheel you should be able to stuff 35s on a 4" lift.

On a two inch level you can stuff 33s with ease and 35s on a stock will will fit and rub a little.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:00 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

Depends on what one wants. For many (and I mean MANY) people's trucks, the only dirt they'll ever see will come from the lint left on their hood from a rainstorm. They are usually the ones that want to LOOK the part by lifting their truck(s).

Someone not long ago surmised in an article that only about 10-15% of "off road capable" vehicles will actually see off road action. Weird, huh? For me, my truck better be ready for a surprise trail romp any time I see a dirt road or trail calling out to me.

I only have a 2" lift in front, 1" (Deaver springs) in the rear, and have 34" tires. I can totally cross up and there is -0- rubbing anywhere. But that is a function of a "proper" set up instead of just simply lifting the snot out of the suspension.

The following 5 users liked this post by STingray1300:
bambbrose (03-29-2018), Lockelamora (05-15-2016), mth (05-13-2016), RajunKajun59 (05-13-2016), WestsydeGuy (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Stingray it's great to hear that your seeing good travel on a 2" coil lift with 34's. I think I might go that route instead of the 4"! Some of these trucks I'm seeing are so jammed up with tire that a stock subaru outback would dust them across a gorge. It would be a rough ride for sure but at least the outback wouldn't eat its' own face off doing it.

I guess to each his own heavily applies, it's shocking after having been out of the loop for so many years.

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

The issue, I have with 4 to 6" lifts, you are only gaining ground clearance, not extra suspension travel. It is not like a solid axle spring or 4 link swap like it used to be, you are just lowering the short travel A-Arm mounting points, by 4-6".

My planned setup is very similar to Stingray's, it keeps the truck at a decent height for CoG purposes, and is very usable and capable off road.

My ideal setup would be a full on 4 link swap, or mid to long travel A-Arm setup, but both are costly, and one option puts you almost too wide for some trails.

Sadly I don't offroad much, but when I do, I want it to be capable.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

I need to move out that way, looks like fun.

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Depends on what one wants. For many (and I mean MANY) people's trucks, the only dirt they'll ever see will come from the lint left on their hood from a rainstorm. They are usually the ones that want to LOOK the part by lifting their truck(s).

Someone not long ago surmised in an article that only about 10-15% of "off road capable" vehicles will actually see off road action. Weird, huh? For me, my truck better be ready for a surprise trail romp any time I see a dirt road or trail calling out to me.

I only have a 2" lift in front, 1" (Deaver springs) in the rear, and have 34" tires. I can totally cross up and there is -0- rubbing anywhere. But that is a function of a "proper" set up instead of just simply lifting the snot out of the suspension.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM

Stingray did Deaver stop offering rears for our trucks? I visited their site and it looks like the latest they go is 2003 on the non-raptor f150. Here is a link to their offerings: http://www.deaverspring.com/products/ford-leaf-springs/

I checked out the BOSS kit, it seems very reasonably priced and the reviews appear to be great. Good stuff.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by STingray1300
Jeeps that are mall rated
Rovers are too expensive for some to take in the dirt.
Is this counting SUVs and CUVs? Id say even less than 10%
The following users liked this post:
STingray1300 (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 328 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x44L
Stingray did Deaver stop offering rears for our trucks? I visited their site and it looks like the latest they go is 2003 on the non-raptor f150. Here is a link to their offerings: http://www.deaverspring.com/products/ford-leaf-springs/

I checked out the BOSS kit, it seems very reasonably priced and the reviews appear to be great. Good stuff.
Raptor is the same. Look at atlas, they are more affordable.

Quick Reply: What happened to trail capability being cool?