Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Weight Factor for KC lites on Carr Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Factor for KC lites on Carr Bar?

Ok i am going to by a Carr Roto Light Bar this weekend and i talked to Carr about the light set up i can use on there bar, and they told me that they have 7 predrilled holes but the max weight that the bar can take is only 4lbs, i wanted to put 5 KC lites on it, i am not sure which set i am want looking at, the 50 seires, Apollo, Daylighters or the Slimlites. I am going for 5in or 6in with 100w or 130w. The question i have and cant find on KC's website is the weight of the lights, so if anyone would happend to know what the KC lites might weight would be nice. Thanx
Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

4lbs? What's that bar made of paper?

I have 2 6" SlimLites on my Bull Bar and they don't weigh more than 10lbs combined. Prolly around 7-8lbs together.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
4lbs? What's that bar made of paper?

I have 2 6" SlimLites on my Bull Bar and they don't weigh more than 10lbs combined. Prolly around 7-8lbs together.
I thought 4lbs was made weak also, so i was thinking they just say that to protect there own butts? But i cant have just 1 big light or 2 small i need way more. So if this is true i might have to look at a different light bar, i am glad i looked into this before i bought it. Any one else have any info?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Taymonster
I thought 4lbs was made weak also, so i was thinking they just say that to protect there own butts? But i cant have just 1 big light or 2 small i need way more. So if this is true i might have to look at a different light bar, i am glad i looked into this before i bought it. Any one else have any info?
You got a pic of it and how it's mounted? I mean I would expect at least 40lbs. 4lbs would be for those tiny square 5W autozone lights.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
You got a pic of it and how it's mounted? I mean I would expect at least 40lbs. 4lbs would be for those tiny square 5W autozone lights.
well this is the link for the light bar, http://carr.com/light-bars/deluxe-rota.html its a no drill system that mounts to the gutters or has a gutterless atachment.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM
04 F150 FX4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the mounting is a joke on it, that's what I have on my truck, I ended up doing it a little different and running a nice thick bead of silicone down the gutter as well. I have 4 55W 6" lights and it seams pretty sturdy, I want to put 4 8" KC 800 series on it in the near future though
Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JLindsay32
Yeah the mounting is a joke on it, that's what I have on my truck, I ended up doing it a little different and running a nice thick bead of silicone down the gutter as well. I have 4 55W 6" lights and it seams pretty sturdy, I want to put 4 8" KC 800 series on it in the near future though
ok i have a couple question for you then sense you have it, is the silicone noticable? Do you think i can get 5 6'' lights on it or should i go with the 5 5'' lights? And would you recommend the bar with the silicone or should i look into another brand? I dont realy want to drill holes in my truck so this so far is all i have found. I looked at your build and it looks pretty nice though i hope i can get this to work with 5 lights
Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
04 F150 FX4

The silicone isn't noticeable, I used clear, it may not be necessary, but i'd rather have the piece of mind knowing there is a little extra to keep it from just falling off. This bar was the best alternative I found to drilling holes in the roof. I don't see why you couldn't get 5 lights on it, I plan to put 4 8" lights so 5 5" or 6" shouldn't be too hard, it just depends on the spacing as there are already pre drilled holes (but you could always drill as needed).
You might not be able to tell from the pics in my build thread, but it did pry the gutter up slightly, partly because the bar is still a little to long, but I was afraid to get it to short and not have pressure on it, therefore I left it and used the silicone.
When installing they send you like a 56" bar and then you have to measure and cut off each side to make it fit, so do know there is cutting required. Overall i'm not displeased with it, but I would probably rate it 2/5 based on design. I plan to eventually build a full roof rack...

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions or need a visual, i'm more than willing to help.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 PM

JLindsay32, i have a few more qustion, Did you have to use the gutterless mounts? How did you run your wiring? It also looks like you probly have more than 4lbs of lights did it seem like the bar is weak?
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM
04 F150 FX4

I had gotten them, but did not use them, they aren't necessary. I ran one harness across to the drivers side from the battery, through the gromet in the firewall, up the pillar, behind the headliner, and then out the door. That side was easy, the passenger side not so much. I found a gromet that comes in to the truck behind the a/c condensor. After lots of trouble and getting my hand stuck, I finally managed to fish the wire down behind the dash then up the passenger pillar, behind the headliner, and up and out to the roof.
I can get you some pics, because I feel like that could be kind of confusing.
As far as the strength I have had it going down the freeway at 100+ mph. I shook it with quite a bit of force, and convinced myself it was pretty sturdy, and have had no problems. The bar is made of metal, and I don't see any buckle from the lights I have on it, nor did it buckle when I put my weight down with my hand.

Quick Reply: Weight Factor for KC lites on Carr Bar?