Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Truggy build

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy build

I have been looking out for a truck that would make a good truggy build. I have been looking for an older late 80s early 90s f350. The reason, they can be found cheap, have solid front axles, and I am partial to ford. I have a 1996 f150 now with straight 6, 5 speed, and 3.08 gears. I am only going to be driving it for another couple weeks, then selling it and using the money for a truggy. It has a few issues but nothing major, and most of the issues would be eliminated in a truggy build anyway. The reason I never really considered using an f150 or f250 is because of the flimsy front axle set up. The one on my truck now is just about shot. I looked and a set of axles can easily run me over a grand to buy a front axle and regear the back axle (front axle would be lower since likely an f350 axle) or to buy a rear f350 axle too. I knew, but it never crossed my mind that up until 2001 all full size dodge trucks had solid front axles. I looked, and I could get a set of axles out of a dodge 1500 for 400-500 bucks. Whatever axles I used, whether it be a swap or not would have to be reinforced, and new mounts and suspension built since it's a truggy. So, I think dodge axles might work rather well.

Any opinions or ideas are appreciated
Old 04-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Better 2B lucky than good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The '94-01 Dodge front axles aren't that great. Small axles, Central Axle Disconnect 4x4 engagement system, multipiece axle shafts, non-locking hubs, iffy unit bearings, etc.

The rear 9.25" half ton axle is pretty good but it's not well supported.

Quick Reply: Truggy build