Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Toyo Open Country R/T tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country R/T tires

In the market for new tires, I'm looking at three tires right now.

Toyo Open Country R/T
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
BFGoodrich AT KO2

Wondering if anyone here has experience with these tires in light mud, heavy snow, and street driving. I live in western Washington, so mud is inevitable. However, I also don't plan on doing serious off-roading.

Tire size: 275/70/r18
Truck: 2012 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I just recently put the R/T on my truck. I've always had great luck with the Toyo A/T but wanted something slightly more aggressive this time around.

the first set of tires I put on my truck were LT285/65R20 BFG KO's (not the 2) and I never liked them in snow. I had to use 4wd for winter street driving more than I ever had before. they just packed up and turned to slicks constantly. after about 15k miles they started getting a hum to them. they were still wearing perfectly straight. I checked the balance which wasn't off, played with the pressures a little, and it didn't get any better so I just took them off since I never liked them to begin with.

I replaced those with some Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s I got for a good deal, ran those for a while, but just decided to spend the money on the setup I really wanted, so now I have the Toyo R/Ts in 35x12.50R20 and have been really happy with them so far. the day after I put them on, I drove 200 miles through very wet heavy snow that eventually turned to lighter powder when I got higher into the mountains, never had any major slipping and never needed to use 4wd or lock the diff. and then just the other day I went about 10 miles down and back on a muddy/rocky trail with lots of elevation changes and again, never needed 4wd or the locker and had no traction issues. they've also been quieter than the BFGs were, but they only have a few hundred on them so far. but as of now I'm definitely not disappointed.

can't really speak to the Duratracs, I swore off Goodyear a while ago because their truck tires just never seem to wear well.
The following users liked this post:
Dtinkerbell (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Subd. I'd love to find somebody who has experience with these and the Cooper ST Maxx
Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Love my Duratracs.

Coming from Nitto Trail Grapplers, the Duratracs noticeably ride better and are way lighter (gave me acceleration back). Also a lot quieter than the Trail grapplers on the road. Seems they will last a lot longer as well.

No issues with rain, snow, mud, etc. They do just fine. I'll probably buy them again.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by berty
Subd. I'd love to find somebody who has experience with these and the Cooper ST Maxx
ST Maxx are great, and quite, nice hybrid between an A/T and a Mud Tire.

Mine are 295/70-18,

The following users liked this post:
Dtinkerbell (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I know, I've seen a lot of love for the ST Maxx and a lot of love for the Toyo R/T. While my first love was the R/T, at heart I'm a bit of a Cooper fanboy. I'm trying to find somebody with experience with both to help me decided haha I dont think I can go wrong either way but still

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country R/T tires