Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Tires/Lift/Leveling/Re-gearing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Lift/Leveling/Re-gearing Questions

Hey guys I have done a lot of reading lately on bigger tires, different types of lifts and re-gearing. I am somewhat unsure as to what I want to do. Currently I have 235/75r tires (which are way too small) on my 94 4x4 f150 which has a 300 6 and a 5 speed. I have a couple questions and was hoping you all could help me out.

-Axle code on my truck is H8 which I believe means that I have 3.08 gears, what size sire do you guys believe is the limit of these gears in terms of climbing hills and robbing gas mileage, 33x12.50?

- I'd like to level out the truck with either a 2'' daystar leveling kit or more heavy duty coil springs. Is it that much harder to get aligned after raising the front and what is your all's preferred method to raise it (either just the front, or a minimal lift kit,my dad would kill me if i went over 3 inches).

-I really like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, which I believe come in 31x10.50 and 33x12.50. I would probably prefer the 33x12.50s but referring back to my question about gearing I don't think the 3.08s would handle them right and I would probably lose too much in power and mileage.

-Do you all know of any really aggressive looking all terrain tires (not bfg all terrains) that come in a 32x11.50?

I really appreciate your alls help and understand that I'm a little scatterbrained right now. Just trying to figure out what to do, any input positive or negative would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paintgiant
-Do you all know of any really aggressive looking all terrain tires (not bfg all terrains) that come in a 32x11.50?
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the BFG's either I don't know what it is but I just can not stand that tire
Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 PM
thread jacker!

bfgs are good just everyone has em and there played out.

id do 285/75/16s. theyre 33/11/16 and will look way better than your 235s. and theyll fit on your stock rims. you wont have to regear and really shouldnt be able to tell a difference cuz there not that much heavier than your tires now.

you do have 16" rims right?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tlw613sp
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the BFG's either I don't know what it is but I just can not stand that tire
Originally Posted by Old_Skl_Raptr
bfgs are good just everyone has em and there played out.

id do 285/75/16s. theyre 33/11/16 and will look way better than your 235s. and theyll fit on your stock rims. you wont have to regear and really shouldnt be able to tell a difference cuz there not that much heavier than your tires now.

you do have 16" rims right?
Yeah I agree with both of you guys, I just want something different, it seems like everyone has them and I want something with a little more aggressive tread pattern like the duratracs have.
OldSkl, are you saying the 285/75's are comparable to 33x11.50s? I'm sorry, just kind of new to understanding tire measurements. If what I'm presuming is correct would a leveling kit be the best way to get the front ones to fit? Also, as far as the rims go I want to say that they are 15s? The measurement I have says 15x6.0J. I really hate the rims that are on it now so I already plan on buying different ones when it's time to get tires.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:46 AM
thread jacker!

yea i hear ya on the rims. do black steels, you cant go wrong and they look the best. are you gonna do 15s when you buy new tires? cuz if you do you wont have to worry about metric sizes. 15" tires are all standard. and everythings cheaper for a 15" rim.

yes 285/75/16 are 33/11.50/16 roughly. and yes do a level kit if it doesnt have one already
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM

i have a inline 6 5 speed and 3.08 gears. im runin a 33x12.50x15. it does fine with the gears i have. you will need a leviling kit i put a 1.5 leveling coil from rough country on my rig. i also have a 3 inch body lift. when you buy your rims make sure you get 15x10s with offset. or your 33s will rub the radus arm. hope thats some what of some help for you and as far as tires go its really up to how aggresive of a pattern you r lookin for
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM

ya i got a 94 f150 flareside with a 4 inch lift 33x10 bfg mud trains and 4.10 gears, i dont know why u guys r hatin on the bfg all train, i had a set of 33's and i thot they were amazing for what they were, they r no mud tire or ice tire but its the only tire i have ever had that will do something in the mud and give a little traction on ice, thats just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks fellas that definitely helps out, it's not that I don't like bfg all terrains (I have a friend that has them on his dodge and he loves them) it's just that I want something different and a little more aggressive looking. I know that they are great tires though.

92 ford- how much did your gas mileage go down after putting the 33x12.50s on? Seeing as we have the same gears this will give me an idea of what I should expect. Also, was the 3''bl necessary to get the 33's to fit/how was aligning the truck after you put the 1.5'' leveling coil in?

Thanks for all the help so far.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 PM

I couldn't tell you how much it went down on mpg i bought the truck like that, it also had the body lift. I wouldn't think you would be able to run 33s without a bl but i could be wrong and put a 2 inch leveling kit mine didn't level out as much as i would of liked it to. haven't got it aligned yet, i don't have the money. i also put a ball joint offset on. it helps with the way the tires sit after puttin bigger coils on

Quick Reply: Tires/Lift/Leveling/Re-gearing Questions