Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Tire brands and mileage loss highway/off road

Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire brands and mileage loss highway/off road

I work off road, but getting there I travel GREAT distances on the freeway. I work in the western region mainly on mountain tops and off road trails. I am looking for suggestions for tires that don't drop the gas mileage significantly if at all and still offer good performance on both surfaces.

I will be acquiring my 2011 FX4 with the 5.0L engine soon, going from a 2013 Escape at 26-30 mpg. I traverse dirt/mud trails, snow...sometimes deep and rocky cavernious mountain top trails frequently. However, most of my mileage is spent on paved highways.

I have the 20" rims so I am probably going to get the 275/60/20's
Looking at the BF Goodrich KOII they are just coming out with soon. I know the Nittos, Goodyear Wranglers and Toyo ATII are sweet looking but I want a good quiet ride and solid off road performance that has good highway mileage performance. Thanks for input everyone!

Last edited by TheStinger; 09-29-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Biggest thing between same size tires is weight lighter the tire better mpg, but you could also be sacrificing strength and or puncture resistance
Old 09-30-2014, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup just thought id throw it out to everyone since some differ in their travels and may have some valuable feedback on a paticular brand.

Looking forward to seeing the KO2 BFG tires, see where the price point is also. ALl the videos they have on the web site look promising especially with the 3 flake snow rating!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

All 275/60R20 tires will be P-metric meaning light weight, less rolling resistance, and better MPGs. EXCEPT the BFG TA KO2 it will be LRD.

If you stick with the 275/55R20 same story all P-Metric except BFG and Toyo MT.

Staying with a P-Metric will give you the best chance of getting better mileage.

The BFG will be a good choice though, they claim twice as long of life on gravel roads.

Take a look at Michelin AT2, Cooper ATP, General Grabber AT2. I think those would fit your bill as well as the other tires you mentioned.

Scratch the general, they don't make your size, however I got 50k miles out of my Goodyear DuraTracs so there is another good option.

Last edited by BassAckwards; 09-30-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire brands and mileage loss highway/off road