Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 PM
yaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Upgrades

Howdy...

I just blew out a rear bilstein 5100 after about 3 months of use. So far I'm not so impressed. Granted the roads this truck sees are less than optimal, but I don't have time to replace shocks every 3-6 months. Can anyone recommend a good replacement?

I'm running 5100s all around, and I'm considering replacing them all with Fox since they seem highly regarded. How is the durability? I heard the remote reservoirs can be problematic in the -40 degree weather we can see here. Any truth to that?

I'm also considering a 6" BDS lift. I see that you can get Fox coilovers with that kit. How are those?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:35 AM
F150 Forum

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had fox shocks put on my truck and I love how it rides on the rig roads I drive on. Look up camburg suspension and RPG on here. I'm not sure about the remote reservoir in the cold but they make a kit without them if that's a concern.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM

I run icon vehical dynamics they're awesom! And hold up really well have had them for 2 years
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 AM

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

not to add yet another choice, but King is also a fantastic option. They're incredibly well regarded and they offer everything from oem replacement to long travel kits.
As stated before fox is fantastic as well. Both make great OEM replacement shocks
You might want to look into the camburg racing kit (equipped with king or fox) if you decided not to lift your truck.

OR instead of doing a lift, Id go the more expensive, but better, route of going mid travel with new UCA's, shocks, spindles, and leafs and using that to lift your truck a little.
the off road performance is gonna be night and day over an out of the box lift!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 PM
yaw

Awesome.. thanks all!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 AM
yaw

So I had the rear 5100s (turns out they were both bad) replaced with Fox 2.0s. I haven't done anything to the front yet, as those seemed to be okay for now. Now the truck has developed a horrible vibration at 65+mph that gets worse with speed.

It feels exactly like a tire is out of balance, but I don't think it's the tires. I had the tires rebalanced, and even rotated the backs to the front, but that rear end vibration is still there. In addition, I'm running balancing beads in the tires. It did not do this before these new shocks were put on. It was smooth as glass to 80+.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I noticed that when I filled the gas tank the vibration decreased. It quickly came back as I approached half a tank. I'm also running the RAS on the black disk setting back there for about 1.5" of rear end lift.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:15 AM
F150 Forum

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I changed all the shocks and UCA I was told that I need an alignment. Maybe changing the rear shocks affects the alignment too. Just a thought...
Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yaw
So I had the rear 5100s (turns out they were both bad) replaced with Fox 2.0s. I haven't done anything to the front yet, as those seemed to be okay for now. Now the truck has developed a horrible vibration at 65+mph that gets worse with speed.

It feels exactly like a tire is out of balance, but I don't think it's the tires. I had the tires rebalanced, and even rotated the backs to the front, but that rear end vibration is still there. In addition, I'm running balancing beads in the tires. It did not do this before these new shocks were put on. It was smooth as glass to 80+.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I noticed that when I filled the gas tank the vibration decreased. It quickly came back as I approached half a tank. I'm also running the RAS on the black disk setting back there for about 1.5" of rear end lift.

Vibration between 45 and 60mph is tire balance. Vibration over 65 mph is suspension issues. Pull all the wheels and clean the back of the rim where it makes contact with the hub. Also clean the hub face. once clean smear on a little anti-seize. If this does not fix the problem in the rear then most likely your looking at a bearing problem or possble your drive shaft is badly out of balance. (double check for a broken leaf as well)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM
yaw

Any idea why this problem only appeared after installing new shocks? I'm going to put my old ones back on and see what that does.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Country Boy Ford

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yaw

Hey man I had the same problem with my truck but it was in the front...My driver side bearings were going out so when I replaced them they worked just fine. I would start there. I changed the bearing out my self and the new bearing ran me if I remember correctly like 100 bucks or so. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
yaw (07-20-2013)

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades