Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Storing your hi-lift jacks and offroad gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Storing your hi-lift jacks and offroad gear

Where are you guys storing your hi-lift jacks and other equipment? I've seen guys with other vehicles install a mount on the inside of the sides of the truck bed for the hi-lift

Are hi-lift jacks even helpful with our trucks? I can't imagine how I would use it without custom rock rails on the side of the truck. Does everyone have a different offroad jack they prefer to use with the F150 when you're wheeling?
Old 08-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Platinum R.R.

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

It depends if you know what you are doing when going off road.

I've seen many Jeeps etc. packing them but not f150's.
You could always make a Pine Box to carry one in.
If you get into Peat Bogs, mud etc. a Good Long Tow Chain may work better.
I've only been to Moab Utah three times in my Son's Jeep. His is a Rock Crawler. I towed it there.
Our Trucks are too Heavy & Wide to really need one.
Just my $.02 worth.
Others may use one in the past?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

When I had my Tacoma I mounted it to the bed rack. I have a set of 4xRACs that are going on this weekend. I'm mounting them to the bottom of my tool box but you could mount them in the bed.

There aren't many places to use one of a F-150 without frame mounted sliders. However, I suggest buying a LiftMate. It will allow you to attach to your wheel and lift from there. It is much safer keeping the jack lower. Hi lifts can also be used as a winch. It's a pain in the *** but it works in a pinch.

When I get mine mounted I'll post a pic.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by overlandFX4
When I had my Tacoma I mounted it to the bed rack. I have a set of 4xRACs that are going on this weekend. I'm mounting them to the bottom of my tool box but you could mount them in the bed.

There aren't many places to use one of a F-150 without frame mounted sliders. However, I suggest buying a LiftMate. It will allow you to attach to your wheel and lift from there. It is much safer keeping the jack lower. Hi lifts can also be used as a winch. It's a pain in the *** but it works in a pinch.

When I get mine mounted I'll post a pic.
A buddy and I found that out real quick. Long story short we went wheeling in one vehicle (bad idea) and got stuck in a mud hole. Once we finally gave up on self recovery we called his dad with a rubi. His dad showed up with his winch but decided to teach us a lesson and handed us the hi lift that we had bought him earlier that year. It's time consuming as a winch so lesson learned but it worked! The irony of using the same recovery piece we bought him on ourselves...
Old 08-04-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the idea that it can be used as a winch, in a pinch, as well as a jack.

But it looks like lift mate is the only way we'd be able to use the Hi-Lift on the F150. And at that point, in what situation would that be helpful? Seems like the point of having a jack is to swap a tire and you can't swap the tire if its being used to lift the vehicle.

Is anyone using a different combo of equipment for hand-winching or jacking up the truck? Would a basic come-along work as a winch or is it not strong enough?
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

I was just asking a buddy who runs a wrecker yard and has a couple F150s what he recommended. Him and another buddy (in a different state) both posited that Hi-Lifts are functional but also widowmakers.

They both suggested an air lift as a viable alternative for recovery. Exhaust driven air lifts are really good at their designated job (which is recovery lifting, not flat concrete lifting) -- and a hand winch.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

My opinion is that a hi lift is the absolute last resort for jacking a vehicle but sometimes it is the only tool. I also have a come a long, Maxtrax knock off traction boards (worth their weight in gold in certain situations), and a bunch of straps and shackles. I am still saving for and deciding how I want to do a winch.

Also....don't forget a bottle jack still often works on the trail.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:01 AM

Received 698 Likes on 442 Posts

So, sounds like you guys want to use the OEM jack if you get stuck in the mud, eh? ARB's X-Jack is a nice alternative. Something I may invest in sometime in the future. But for now...

I've always had a HiLift. Using it is easy. First off, there are 3 models: Good, Better and Best. I have the 60" Better one. Plenty tall enough to use with the F150. Now, who here doesn't have a trailer hitch receiver on the back of their truck? Use that to lift the back (or, if you have an off road bumper, it works better), but you have to stabilize it laterally. But, if you don't, you can use this: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/bumper-lift.html

or this: http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

I also use the front push guard to lift the front.

Here's how I mount mine to the side of the bed (home made bracket). My MaxTrax are mounted above on my new aluminum skeleton rack for my topper. Always trying to improve my overlanding efficiency.

Last edited by STingray1300; 08-05-2016 at 02:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rkneeshaw (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:23 AM

Received 95 Likes on 89 Posts

I need to find a way to mount mine on my truck. Always good to carry one, very handy.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

When I carried hilift, it was wrapped in a moving blanket and pushed to back of bed.......only needed it once in 20 yrs. It'll gouge the crap outa the bed unless padded.

Without sliders or aftermarket bumpers, its only going to work in the hitch receiver u less you can live with damage somewhere.

now i carry that ARB inflatable bag thing.

havent needed it yet, but its just common sense to have one out in the bush along with straps, shovel, tire patch kit, powered inflator etc.

Quick Reply: Storing your hi-lift jacks and offroad gear