Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Steering stabilizers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabilizers????

I've been searching the forum for some discussion about steering stabilizers. I just bought a 2012 FX4 screw with a 6" BDS lift. However, when I went up into the sierras, near the rubicon trail (not on the trail, but nearby), the steering gets screwy on the rock-lined trail i'm on at the time. The trail is covered with about 4" cobble with interspersed boulders, but at a cruising speed of ~7MPH, the steering wheel is shimmying back and forth so much that it's driving me nuts.

Now, I've read that the 2012's don't benefit from steering stabilizers because of the electronic steering. Any thoughts as to what might be happening, and how to possibly fix it? Or, is this relatively normal, and I just need to live with it?

BTW, I'm running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35X12.50-20 and the BDS 6" lift with Fox shocks. My previous rig was a 99 F-350 4X4 super cab, which i never really got out on this kind of terrain.

Your thoughts and insight is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a steering stabilizer in my Jeep. Much simpler front end though and steering system so I can't really vouch for how it will do in your truck but honestly I think it won't make much of a difference with the electronic steering. Even my Jeep does what you're describing to some degree. Wheeling isn't easy, it's not like cruising down the freeway.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

The stabilizer should help since it's helping control the movement on the steering components but they should only be used to help out the truck not to mask a problem so I would have someone that knows what they are doing look at it.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizers????