Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Should I switch from leveling spacers to shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I switch from leveling spacers to shocks?

I have a 2014 stx that I put pro comp leveling spacers on the front. At the time I bought it it was more of a pavement princess. Wanted the level to fit bigger tires for snow or the occasional off road so I just went the cheap route, plus at the time there weren't many options available. Anyhow since then I've essentially moved off the grid. North Idaho/Montana wilderness right out my back door, far more than I could explore in a lifetime. I spend a majority of my free time on old logging roads/forest service roads that run through the mountains. My truck doesn't necessarily take a beating or any serious off roading but it gets pretty rough more often than not. How essential would it be that I ditch the spacers and get some leveling shocks up front? What kind would you recommend and why? Are the spacers going to cause any damage...meaning will I be ok to save up for a new one for a few months or do I need to run out and get squared away asap? Wanted to add the bed gets filled with dead animals and wood on a regular basis, not sure if the added weight in the back is a huge game changer. Thanks for the input and here's a couple pictures from the road!

A couple cow elk crossing the road

Old 07-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

JT should chime in any second
The following users liked this post:
Baja Kits (07-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I'm jealous, at least until the middle of Winter.

Anyway... There is no doubt a quality aftermarket set of coilovers would be the better route. Spacers a susceptible to cracking under rigorous conditions. The right coilovers would give a much better ride and handle the "logging roads" better. IMO.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 186 Likes on 150 Posts

I can definitely get you taken care of!

If you can afford it, yes! You will notice a complete change in the ride and I mean that in a good way!

Which ones to get will be up to you on how much you want to spend.

For the rear, I would either go with a Mini pack/AAL or splurge and go with a full replacement leaf pack with some performance shocks.

PM, Email or give me a call when you are free and we can talk some more!

Thanks

JT

Quick Reply: Should I switch from leveling spacers to shocks?