Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Recovery

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovery

Share your tips/tricks about recovering vehicles in here, whether it is mud, snow, or some other obstacle! Maybe a story and some pics, too!
Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 PM

my buddies got a dodge 3/4 ton diesel stuck in the middle of a skag field a few years back, and it took about 7 hours but luckily the night b4 it was pretty cold so the skag froze just enough to drive on, i managed to drive my ford just close enough to hook up a tow strap, we jacked up all 4 corners and got the tires set on some 2x6's and with a little bit of slack, and jacking it back up on the 2x6's a few times we managed to get it sucked back to solid ground. so basically tow straps, jacks, and clevises. Also a winch and ****** blocks would have been nice but i guess u make due with what u got.
keep the rubber side down
Old 01-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Aerospace Engineer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1) ALWAYS store your recovery strap neatly so it doesn't get a knot in it.

I was riding in a buddy's jeep when he decided to take a water hole of unknown depth at high speed. It was way too deep for a stock TJ and we sunk up to the bottom of the window glass almost immediately. I'm sitting there, watching the waves on the water splash against the passenger window glass and windshield. The water is not so slowly filling the interior through the missing body drain plugs. Good news was, we were there with a CJ-5 and big mid 80's bronco who had a 6" wide recovery strap. Bad news was, the strap some how got a knot in it and we had to wait for it to be untangled before it could be hooked to the rear tow hook on the jeep.

2) Always wear your seat belt when you are being pulled out of something. I've been saved several times from eating dash board when getting pulled out backwards using a strap in the "****** and jerk" mode.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:51 PM

also try not to use straps without metal hooks on ends but if u do drape something over the strap when pulling that way if it breaks it will stop in its tracks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recovery