Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

quick question for those of you who like to explore the outdoors

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question for those of you who like to explore the outdoors

Hey guys im new around these parts. I am in the market for a truck, I have been in love with the new F150 for a while now so I had a question for you guys. I want a truck to full fill my outdoor hobbies; fishing, camping, hunting, trail riding and just spending time in the great outdoors. I was told that big trucks dont do well on the trails in the sierras and i should look into a compact truck. Well, I did look at the Tacoma TRD and Nissan Frontier but i just dont like the way these trucks look. One day i was set on the Tacoma but on my way home i saw a Raptor and a FX4 F150 and I said NOPE! not gonna just settle for a Tacoma.

So the question is, how well do the F150 4x4 or FX4s do on the trail? Here in Northern California we have a lot of "Jeep" trails which can be tight in some areas. Any of you guys have any issues taking your trucks on the trails?

I greatly appreciate any advice/feedback.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't go offroading, but my opinion if you want best offroading stock truxk results would be to get a single cab shortbed Fx4 , electronic locker or limited slip differential(i think included in the package).
3.73 gears and an ecoboost engine if possible.
I would also recommend ordering the tow package on whatever truck you decide to get. Trucks with the tow package come with a transmission cooler and a couple of other things I can't think of right now.

For a best all around pickup, I would recommend a Supercab (two full side doors and two smaller suicide doors) and a 6.5 foot bed. With the options I stated above.

I know I didn't really answer your question but I hope I helped a little bit.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 PM

I don't go offroading, but my opinion if you want best offroading stock truxk results would be to get a single cab shortbed Fx4 , electronic locker or limited slip differential(i think included in the package).
3.73 gears and an ecoboost engine if possible.
I would also recommend ordering the tow package on whatever truck you decide to get. Trucks with the tow package come with a transmission cooler and a couple of other things I can't think of right now.

For a best all around pickup, I would recommend a Supercab (two full side doors and two smaller suicide doors) and a 6.5 foot bed. With the options I stated above.

I know I didn't really answer your question but I hope I helped a little bit.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM

Not sure why that posted twice...
Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a 2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Supercab with a 4.0 V6 5 speed auto limited slip rear end.
Best trail truck I've owned.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
SHEEPDOG

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

I had a Jeep in the Caribbean that could go anywhere on the island. A lot of switch-backs were well past 90 degrees and you couldn't get around 'em in anything larger. My buddies driveway was solely a walk-up unless you had a Jeep.
With that being said, I wouldn't go back to a Jeep if you gave it to me. I also drove a Ranger before that; and while I loved that truck, they both had the same problem. Too small. Not enough power. The occasional tight spot wouldn't stop me from taking full advantage of the larger truck. If you're dead set on Jeep trails, though.....
Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 AM

Received 229 Likes on 200 Posts

Took my 2000 F-150 off roading today...And tonight..And yesterday....And well I do it all the time. The only disadvantage I have is when it comes to hills,that is because I have 37" tires and stock gears,if you were running say 33s you'd have no problem at all! I've climbed a pretty steep hill with mine and I went down trails tonight with it along with muddin' the f150 is just a good all around truck.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fishinjib
Hey guys im new around these parts. I am in the market for a truck, I have been in love with the new F150 for a while now so I had a question for you guys. I want a truck to full fill my outdoor hobbies; fishing, camping, hunting, trail riding and just spending time in the great outdoors. I was told that big trucks dont do well on the trails in the sierras and i should look into a compact truck. Well, I did look at the Tacoma TRD and Nissan Frontier but i just dont like the way these trucks look. One day i was set on the Tacoma but on my way home i saw a Raptor and a FX4 F150 and I said NOPE! not gonna just settle for a Tacoma.

So the question is, how well do the F150 4x4 or FX4s do on the trail? Here in Northern California we have a lot of "Jeep" trails which can be tight in some areas. Any of you guys have any issues taking your trucks on the trails?

I greatly appreciate any advice/feedback.

Thanks!
The f150 is a good truck! There is a group of three of us who all off road our f150! We have a 97,02,05! And all of them do a good job! But if your looking to buy a new truck, I'd go with the raptor! The new f150 are to pretty!! The raptor also has a 6.2l v8 i believe!!

quick question for those of you who like to explore the outdoors-image-224061294.jpg
Old 06-21-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The raptor is an amazing truck, but I wouldn't want to try squeezing through a trail with it. They're 7 inches wider than the stock f150.
The fx4 is a good solid truck. Locking diffs, 3.73 gears, engine options and not as wide as the raptor. throw a 6inch lift and some 35's on it and you're pretty much set for just about anything
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The "Jeep" trails here in the Ocala National forest are tight. I've had my F150 down some of them, and have several paint scratches to prove it. They are definitely not designed for full size trucks. Even the Jeep guys out there warn not to bring a new Jeep if you're not willing to risk paint scratches.

The good news is if you've got a full size truck, you can always buy a trailer and a Jeep to use as a trail rig. I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a cheap Cherokee that I can beat the crap out of and not care.

Quick Reply: quick question for those of you who like to explore the outdoors