Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Protecting Chrome Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Default Protecting Chrome Tow Hooks

I was wondering what people jury-rigged to protect their front chrome hooks from being gouged up when used. I don't have any big off-road plans, but with prior vehicles I've occasionally pulled a stuck motorist from a ditch or just up a slippery road.

I will be adding a receiver mounted d-ring shackle (likely SmittyBilt), I have a 2" x 30' recovery strap (bought 35 years ago but only slightly used), and want to have something in my bed box that I can easily slip on to the front tow hooks to protect them from being gouged up IF I need to pull from the front.

Not looking for something that stays on the hook, more something that IF I need to use the hook I slip it on, then hook up.

I'm looking for ideas like "buy a piece of plastic hose that's X in diameter, split it in half length-wise and it slips right over the hook." Or something inexpensive that is made for the task (can't find anything).

Something like this which is made for D-rings:
Old 12-09-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

I find it odd that they would even chrome tow hooks in the first place? I think your hose idea would work but I wonder how much it will protect a chrome finish under that much load. If you only need it on a per-use basis maybe just keep a rag to wrap around the hook or cut a piece of aftermarket seatbelt protector.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The first thing I thought when I was picking my truck up at the dealership and looking it over was "why on earth would they chrome the tow hooks?"
Old 05-06-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Know this post is old but what did you end up doing? I have the same thought process and haven't found much except for those. I was thinking of looping the tow strap through and shackling the strap together (Dring through strap loop and around strap body) hoping that the shackle doesn't rub.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Chrome is a very hard metal - that's why it was originally used; not for cosmetics. And Ford understood what would happen at that location when the thickness of the chroming was specified for that part, so they're built to be used. But if you're really worried about it, either buy another pair of (junkyard black) eyes to bolt on for off-roading; or just use these:
Amazon Amazon
They're available in many colors and a few sizes, but shop for that original brand - not the MANY copycats.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts

In my off road class I learned they make soft shsckkes. It's basically a rope with a knot and a noose. Worked great on tow hooks! It also worked great to hook 2 tow strsps together.
This is an example. As with any tow device, always chk the eating. This seems stout tho!

Gator-Jaw 176745PRO Synthetic Soft Shackle (52,300LB Breaking Strength) Blue & Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H9YSRG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gIx0CbEBXFJ8H

Last edited by RobTx; 05-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

I despise chrome so I covered mine with black plasti dip. If I use them and the coating gets gouged or rubs off, I'll just spray more on. This way I don't have to see the chrome and can just re-spray them whenever.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use soft shackles that will prevent any damage to them....I carry a set in my truck

Quick Reply: Protecting Chrome Tow Hooks