Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers

Haven't really seen a whole lot on the interwebs about these, but since I get stupid pricing on them, I decided to give them a shot.

After having driven on them for about 4 days, all I can say is I love them (pending some major off-road driving). The most I've been able to take them over is a non-maintained road with some decent potholes and is pretty broken up. Even my 2013 Rubicon with a 3.5" lift and 35s on it rode pretty rough on that road.

These coilovers handled it with ease and probably will allow for the fastest pass in any vehicle I've driven down it (stock Hummer H2, 6" lifted 03 Avalanche, 2013 Rubicon w/ various levels of suspension mods and now the FX2). Stock, this truck bounced all over the place at 5 mph and at 35 (which is a little fast for a residential street ) I didn't feel a single thing.

As a salesman, I see huge benefit in these coilovers at $500 each, compared to similar options from Fox and King and for most daily driver use they're more than you can expect. Retail, the whole Black Series kit w/ UCAs goes for $1900. I know the website says it's for 4WD only, but it DOES work on a 2WD! You only have to crank down the coilovers about 10 turns and you'll have a solid, almost level, stance (it sits a little nose high currently).

I'll update this once I get the truck off road and really test it out, but right now, I give them an 8/10.

Price: 10/10
Build Quality: 10/10
Ride: 7/10 - Rear shocks are a little stiff over speed bumps
Appearance: 10/10
Ease of Install: 9/10 - No reservoir to mount makes life super easy
Attached Thumbnails Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers-img_2673.jpg   Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers-fullsizerender.jpg   Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers-img_2678.jpg  

Last edited by joeami; 02-17-2016 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Forgot the Pictures!
The following 3 users liked this post by joeami:
Arvivk (04-06-2016), Lockelamora (05-19-2016), Trailbreak74 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks nice, just priced one out 1754.00. Great price compared to other kits on the market. They did not tell the range of lift though. Im guessing 0-2.5". Keep us posted with more miles.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jtnuge
Looks nice, just priced one out 1754.00. Great price compared to other kits on the market. They did not tell the range of lift though. Im guessing 0-2.5". Keep us posted with more miles.
Pro Comp claims up to 2.5", but it definitely looks like it's taller than your standard spacer kit. I'd ballpark it closer to maxing out at 3"
Old 02-17-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Too bad 4Wheelparts isn't offering any forum discounts. I'm on the fence about which leveling kit to get. 4WP has always done a good job for me in the past.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
Too bad 4Wheelparts isn't offering any forum discounts. I'm on the fence about which leveling kit to get. 4WP has always done a good job for me in the past.
If you were local, I could try to do something for you, but there's not a whole lot I can do on the other side of the country
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jtnuge
"For maximum performance and control the Pro Runner 2.75C coilover is the ultimate choice. The Pro Runner 2.75C coilovers are engineered to be the perfect compliment to the new Pro Runner Control Arms. These hand assembled adjustable monotube coilovers will raise the front suspension up to 2.5". They feature an over sized 2.75" zinc plated body for increased oil capacity allowing cooler operation. The upper and lower mounts are heavy-duty teflon steel alloy spherical bearings to eliminate deflection. Each unit is valved and tuned to be application specific for optimized performance and a smooth ride on and off-road."
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by joeami
If you were local, I could try to do something for you, but there's not a whole lot I can do on the other side of the country
I'm in San Diego. Close enough?
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in Los Angeles. And will love to get this set for Cheaper

Last edited by Arvivk; 02-29-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joeami
Haven't really seen a whole lot on the interwebs about these, but since I get stupid pricing on them, I decided to give them a shot.

After having driven on them for about 4 days, all I can say is I love them (pending some major off-road driving). The most I've been able to take them over is a non-maintained road with some decent potholes and is pretty broken up. Even my 2013 Rubicon with a 3.5" lift and 35s on it rode pretty rough on that road.

These coilovers handled it with ease and probably will allow for the fastest pass in any vehicle I've driven down it (stock Hummer H2, 6" lifted 03 Avalanche, 2013 Rubicon w/ various levels of suspension mods and now the FX2). Stock, this truck bounced all over the place at 5 mph and at 35 (which is a little fast for a residential street ) I didn't feel a single thing.

As a salesman, I see huge benefit in these coilovers at $500 each, compared to similar options from Fox and King and for most daily driver use they're more than you can expect. Retail, the whole Black Series kit w/ UCAs goes for $1900. I know the website says it's for 4WD only, but it DOES work on a 2WD! You only have to crank down the coilovers about 10 turns and you'll have a solid, almost level, stance (it sits a little nose high currently).

I'll update this once I get the truck off road and really test it out, but right now, I give them an 8/10.

Price: 10/10
Build Quality: 10/10
Ride: 7/10 - Rear shocks are a little stiff over speed bumps
Appearance: 10/10
Ease of Install: 9/10 - No reservoir to mount makes life super easy
Just picked up this kit, dang 2.75" is huge. How long did the entire install take? Instead of cranking down the front, what size block do you think you could have squeezed in the back? Just curious what size tires your running? My next purchase is to take advantage of the gain in height and go for some bigger tires.

Last edited by Expert Driller; 03-01-2016 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-02-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Expert Driller
Just picked up this kit, dang 2.75" is huge. How long did the entire install take? Instead of cranking down the front, what size block do you think you could have squeezed in the back? Just curious what size tires your running? My next purchase is to take advantage of the gain in height and go for some bigger tires.
My service manager, between jobs, had it knocked out in about 3 hours. Then again, we've got lifts and air tools and happen to be in the aftermarket install business As far as a block in the rear, I'm 2WD, so it might be different for a 4WD, but a 1 or 2" block should have leveled it out. We cranked it down because it looked really stiff right out of the box.

I'm running 34x12.5R18 KO2s with a 5" backspace on my wheels. Just a light bit of rubbing that some minor trimming took care of and they fit perfectly. If you want to avoid too much trimming, I'd say to get the 305/65R18 KO2s or 295/70R18 if you don't want BFG.

Quick Reply: Pro Comp Black Series Coilovers