Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Private Property Off Road

Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Property Off Road

Today a budy of mine was bugging me to go off road at this one place close to my house. I kept delaying and trying to get him to forget but he kept asking, so finally I said whatever and we went. To get there you go down a road used by the electric company that is paved and suddenly you get to a stone road with a field next to it. My buddy starts doing donuts and tearing through a little of the field, so after a little I went in the field tried to get sideways but my truck is so high I didnt want to roll so I didnt push it, the spot was weak. But just as my buddy hands me his phone to take a video I see the owner coming down the road. So we quick got in the trucks and headed out. As we got closer he stopped opened his door and standed in the middle of the road, so I had to stop. He told us it was private property and this and that and asked us if we would like it if he tore up our driveway in his 4x4 Jeep. I was extremely apologetic because I truely had no idea that piece was private property and he let us on our way. But on the way out he stared at my buddy's liscense plate got in his car and continued home. The road is not posted that it is private property and there is no mail box but I am still worried. What do you think should I worry, will he call the cops? He didn't seem tooooo pissed off, I think it just happens a lot.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

Who knows what the guy will do, but I sure wouldnt blame him if he did call the cops. Why would you even agree to go tear up property like that even if it was public property? This is the reason that all the public trails are being shut down because people destroy them. Either way, if he does call the cops the worst youll probably get would be a fine, and rightfully so.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM

I agree it would be deserved we own farm land and people tear it up on snowmobiles all the time.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by HighInTheSkyF150
I agree it would be deserved we own farm land and people tear it up on snowmobiles all the time.
Is that supposed to somehow justify what you guys did? You would think since people tearing up your families farm that you would understand how it feels to have someone wreck your property so you would at least have the respect to not tear up someone else's. Regardless, youre probably worrying for no reason, my guess is if he was going to call the cops you would have found out by now.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Well all I know is I'm not going off road on ANY private or public property unless I have permission. Lesson well learned and this being a truck forum I hope people read this and think before they go off road. Do a search for off road parks in your area and don't be stupid like me. None the less he probably should have posted that it was private property. But still no excuse.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by HighInTheSkyF150
Well all I know is I'm not going off road on ANY private or public property unless I have permission. Lesson well learned and this being a truck forum I hope people read this and think before they go off road. Do a search for off road parks in your area and don't be stupid like me. None the less he probably should have posted that it was private property. But still no excuse.
Well at least you have a good attitude about it, people make mistakes, its just human nature.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46 PM

And lastly this may sound weird but I'm glad we got caught because sadly we probably would have went back some other time and done it again or to some other piece of public property and cause more damage. I do want to say though that my buddy was in a Tundra and when he went through bumpy stuff you could see the bed shaking around because of the frame not being fully boxed.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Roll Tide

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad (lawyer) was explaining this stuff to me the other day and it is the landowner's obligation to post it as private property and wouldn't be able to prosecute you without a clear sign that you are trespassing. This came up because a guy was killed when he rolled his atv on land that he was trespassing on but it was not posted so now the family has a legal right to sue the landowner because the land wasn't marked.

From My iPhone 5
Old 07-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by xdrockstar
My dad (lawyer) was explaining this stuff to me the other day and it is the landowner's obligation to post it as private property and wouldn't be able to prosecute you without a clear sign that you are trespassing. This came up because a guy was killed when he rolled his atv on land that he was trespassing on but it was not posted so now the family has a legal right to sue the landowner because the land wasn't marked.

From My iPhone 5
That may be the case where you live but not around here. The land owner is not obligated to mark his/ her property, its the responsibility of anyone that wishes to access the property to find out who's property it is and get the appropriate permissions. If someone trespasses on my property and does a cookie on my lawn, its not my responsibly because i dont have no trespassing signs up. They would be fined for trespassing and vandalism.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
2015 F-150 King Ranch 4x4

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is asinine that the property has to be posted as private. You KNOW YOU don't own it! Peoples disregard for others property pisses me the frack off!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Private Property Off Road