Topic Sponsor
Off-Road Section All discussion and questions about off-road in this Section
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Overland Expeditions (aka: 4x4 road trips)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Question Overland Expeditions (aka: 4x4 road trips)

Anyone in the 4x4 section overland in their Trucks? If you do, what's your setup?

I'm curious to see what has worked for you guys and what has not.

Terrain
Distances
Tires
Gearing
Common breakages

Do you think a half ton truck is enough to keep up in the world of Yota's and puttering little british diesels?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

foreign lan-gu-age: "OVER--LAND"

Overland = 4x4 roadtrip

lol
Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't see any reason a properly outfitted F150 can't keep up with the Landcruisers and Tacomas and Range Rovers that the "I don't rock crawl" crowd adores. For one thing I get better mileage than any 80-series out there and I've got a bigger tank to boot, and range is half the game when your game is long-distance wheeling.

My go-to wheeler is a modded '85 4Runner, which does everything from Moab rock crawling to all pavement road trips and everything in between. "Overland" or "expedition" (lol) wheeling is easily my favorite - show me a couple hundred miles of mildly technical dirt between me and something cool to look at and I'm a happy camper. But the 4Runner doesn't have room for the growing family, so I added the F150 to the stable. I'm still new to this truck and don't intend to "build" it, but I've had it on a 150 mile dirt run and a couple mild trails already and it does fine for that sort of thing. It's stock right now, but gimme a winch, some sliders and skids, maybe some offroad lighting and a rear locker, and I'll be happy. The P/O had some silly Dunlop ATs on there but those aren't long for this world. I've got a set of 255/75r17 BFG KMs on deck, and if those don't give me quite enough clearance I'll go to a proper 255/85. I'm a fan of the BFG KM2 as an all purpose tire, but I might take a swing at the new Cooper ST MAXX.

There's some pretty sweet fullsize pickup builds on Expeditionportal.com, check 'em out next time you've got some time to kill.

Quick Reply: Overland Expeditions (aka: 4x4 road trips)